Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Us Industry In Decline?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 8bit

8bit

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:40 AM

Is US industry on the way out, or to paraphrase Mark Twain has news of their death been greatly exaggerated? :thumbsup: With IBM selling out their PC side to Lenovo, and another Chinese company's failed bid for Unocal 76, can US industry recover? :flowers:

US manufacturing

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:54 PM

How important are small businesses to the U.S. economy?

Small firms

# Represent more than 99.7 percent of all employers.
# Employ more than half of all private sector employees
# Pay 44.5 percent of total U.S. private payroll.
# Generate 60 to 80 percent of net new jobs annually.
# Create more than 50 percent of nonfarm private gross domestic product (GDP).
# Supplied 22.8 percent of the total value of federal prime contracts (about $50 billion) in FY 2001.
# Produce 13 to 14 times more patents per employee than large patenting firms. These patents are twice as likely as large firm patents to be among the one percent most cited.
# Are employers of 39 percent of high tech workers (such as scientists, engineers, and computer workers ) .
# Are 53 percent home-based and 3 percent franchises.
# Made up 97 percent of all identified exporters and produced 29 percent of the known export value in FY 2001.

Sources: U.S. Bureau of the Census; Advocacy-funded research by Joel Popkin and Company (Research Summary #211); Federal Procurement Data System; Advocacy-funded research by CHI Research, Inc. (Research Summary #225); Bureau of Labor Statistics, Current Population Survey; U.S. Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration.

http://www.sba.gov/advo/stats/sbfaq.html

I don't think so. US is still the bullseye everyone else sets thier sights on. That is fact.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 04:23 PM

Industry is on its way out. Like I've heard before, our economy is moving away from labor to becoming a service.

In the near future, it'll be "I'll offer you this great deal if you give me your deal." something like that.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:42 PM

The point I was making in post #2 was, the buniesses that employ less than 300 people are what makes this country function. The rest of the world can't afford to buy ouy all the mom and pa buniesses.

#5 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:30 PM

but it sure is hard to meet the mortgage when your jobs kept going to Indonesia, Malaysia, Guadalajara, Mumbai, El Salvador, Pakistan and China!

I lost my home, D*** near destroyed my marriage....with all the stats you quoted, it would have been balanced out by showing what percent were McJobs that could only feed a high school kid on Ramen.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:55 PM

I am with you. We have lost a whole bunch of jobs to asia in south Louisiana. Crayfisherman, shrimpers, and farm (ponds) raised fish farmer have taken a huge hit.
It's hard to live like you said on pennies. It's not just buying out companies. It's alot easier to live here on minimum than in Podunk Asia. I just don't think we have it that bad. IMHO.

By the way I own 3 small companies, two of which are down 70% after 9-11.
Limousine- Down 70%
Airport Shuttle- Down 85%
Automobiles rebuilds- Down 10%
And am a full time fire fighter.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 04:01 PM

By the way I own 3 small companies, two of which are down 70% after 9-11.

And my 2 construction companies (who were already declining because of the economy) went on the skids after 9-11. After 20 years of running those businesses I had to start seriously considering a new career. Construction never does well during a war.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:24 PM

Unless you are Brown & Root. :thumbsup:

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:44 AM

While the foriegn chains may not be able to buy every Mmo and Pop store. Other US busness entities can force them out. Wal-mart kills local buisness. So does Sheetz, Mcdonalds, Sonic, and the list could go on. They force small buisness out even though they themselves are labeled small buisnesses(Mcdonalds, Sonic, 95% of all fast food) due to the fact they are franchises.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users