Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys BFSR41v3-How to get router's log

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 24 October 2004 - 02:08 PM

I read on Google that it keeps a log. Linksys website
Linksys
indeed has a program, logviewer.exe. It's supposed to show me two logs - IN and OUT activities/connections/attacks.
I installed the log application. Then the instructions got muddy. I don't know how to enable it, I don't know the IP address of log capturing computer (mine isn't static IP) and I don't see any buttons on the router's side. Every day this window opens up showing the log want to run, but it's empty, I haven't found a way to make it fill something.
What should I do, where, and in what sequence?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2004 - 09:17 PM

The article from linksys explains how to do it:

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksy...4dD1sb2c*&p_li=

You will need to give your computer a static ip address instead of one assigned by the linksys though.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2004 - 10:06 PM

Thanks. Now, This is precisely where I learned the details, but not enough details, it confused me. Here is the beginning quote from the article:

The router has a built in log that can display information in two ways.

First, the log must be enabled and will need to be set to send the log output to a machine on the network. To do this, open your browser and go to http://192.168.1.1, You will be prompted for a username and password. By default there is no username and the password is admin. Click on the Log tab from the Setup screen.

Once that is done, you will need to enable the log, and input the IP address of the desired log capturing computer (Preferably using a static IP address for that machine). There are also two buttons that will bring up pop-up windows showing the Router's most recent activity.
The incoming log table displays the source IP and Destination Port Number.

Here are my problems :thumbsup:
1. In two paragraphs they say to enable the log, but I don't see how or where I'd do it. There is nothing that I can see on the router side, I don't see any LOG TAB. On the computer side, it just keeps coming up empty every day.
2. I read tutorials here about IP addresses, so I'm getting the idea. But, for email and other things, which I don't recall, it says everywhere to use the dynamic setup. Could you please, explain a little more?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:19 PM

When you connect via a web browser to the linksys and log in, what tabs are you seeing?

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2004 - 08:52 AM

This site is fabulous! :flowers:

I found the log tab/button while collecting tab names I see.
It's neither, really. Just words which are context sensitive, the misleading part. They are blue on blue, barely visible and have no resemblance to tabs nor buttons. They light up a little bit when enabled.

The log can be accessed by using Admin menu and then clicking on the word "log".
Maybe I need new glasses :thumbsup:
Thank you very much.
Next step is to understand what the logs says, what the firewall says and link all that in order to know what to do.

Before that, one more question: is it really necessary to setup static IP address? It seems to be working as is. Can you explain the reason for having to use static IP? Does it have to do with, possibly, having multiple computers hooked to the router?

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2004 - 10:56 AM

Well in the future you may get assigned a different ip to your computer. If that is the case, the logs will try to send to a ip that does not have the logging software installed on it. By using a static ip you are gauranteed that that will not happen. If you are using only one computer on the network it may never turn into a problem.

If you want help interpreting the logs, create a new topic with a copy of the some of the entries and we will help explain them

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2004 - 07:48 AM

I did post sections of logs and sure could use some help understanding them:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/4011/linksys-router-log/

0 user(s) are reading this topic