Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help installing new internal harddrive please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lunarelve

lunarelve

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:50 PM

hey guys, i just purchased a OEM hitachi 2TB internal harddrive and am trying to installing it on my computer with no success.  i alrady created a new partition for it, but everytime i try to do a NTFS quick format it gives me an error saying "the formatting did not complete successfully" and im not able to use the new harddrive...

advise please?

nm, thnx anyway guys it seems that the windows default formatting tool is not working. i used "Aomei Partition Assistant 3.0 Home Edition" and formatted the new drive fine, and now my computer is 2TB richer :D

any ideas on why the default formatting tool doesnt work though? i tried to use the device management tool

Edited by lunarelve, 02 April 2011 - 04:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

You cannot format in device manager. You do it through Disk Management.

#3 lunarelve

lunarelve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:10 PM

o yea thats wut i meant, disk management, not device management. it didnt work though, and when i used a third party formatting software like above mentioned it worked like a charm. would that be an indication of virus infection? or other software issues?

#4 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

I highly doubt an infection is the cause. It could just be windows misbehaving about formating drives in certain sizes. Windows won't let you format FAT32 in sizes large than 32GB, even though you can do it with third-party utilities.

#5 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

Windows won't let you format FAT32 in sizes large than 32GB, even though you can do it with third-party utilities.

Glad I saw this. Given that memory is so cheap nowadays, and when replacing a hard-drive in my laptop last week, I couldn't even FIND a 250gb drive, (all were larger) this seems like a shortcoming of Windows that should be addressed.
Life is strange......and then there's Thailand....

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:49 PM

Microsoft addressed that issue a long time ago with the introduction of NTFS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users