Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow browser after removing Malware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 peter1981

peter1981

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:26 PM

My computer was infected with some Malware, which I was able to remove with assistance from this site, but my browser is now loading web pages slowly/incompletely, and eventually stalling, which I have only been able to counteract by periodically reloading the browser or rebooting the computer. There were several problems that we removed, mainly the fake windows security and redirected web browser malware. Several scans under the direction of the Malware Response Team shows the computer to nw be clean, but something is broken, because my browser is essentially unusable. The PC is 2.4GHz P4, 1Gb RAM, Win XP SP3, IE8. Things were running fine prior to the Malware infection, and I haven't been able to get the browser to work normally. I have installed a couple of recommended updates from the MS site, and started going down their browser troubleshooting process, but performance has only deteriorated. I would be grateful for some assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:00 PM

Have you tried reinstalling IE 8...or resetting it? I would try the following.

Reset IE 8

Louis

#3 peter1981

peter1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

Louis, thank you for the reply. I have reset Explorer, and also re-registered the components based on MS t/s instructions. If anything, the performance has gotten worse. I was thinking of un-installing IE, and then re-installing it, just concerned that I will wind up with nothing. I installed Chrome, but it wouldn't run; complained about missing user profiles, I believe. BTW, the computer runs XP. I have also noticed that the Internet security settings will change from the default from time to time without my conscious intervention - ActiveX related stuff, and a couple of other things.

#4 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:38 AM

complained about missing user profiles

It sounds that the user profile is missing or corrupted. Go to this thread to check or recover a lost user profile accordingly.

#5 peter1981

peter1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:58 PM

User profiles seem OK. I have uninstalled/re-installed IE8, and browser problems continue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users