Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Program Icons in Start menu. All Programs after fake anti virus 2011

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jmcelroy

jmcelroy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

I have gotten the Fake Anti Virus 2011,
Have followed the directions from (Bleeping Computers) web site using, RKILL, Malware Bytes and Security essentials. When i am finished my icons on the descktop were gone, (Fixed them with "properties, advanced aand unclicking hidden files" but I still have no Icons in the all programs menu in the start menu except those that i have loaded since the fix. (PSI)
any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 02 April 2011 - 12:22 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Am i Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:54 AM

What else is currently wrong with the system?

Any indication that your malware problems still exist?

Louis

#3 jmcelroy

jmcelroy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:15 PM

microsoft update does not work automatically or manually. When the Security center says to turn on auto updates i do and it says it can't i need to do it in System which also is not effective.
When i try to hit microsft website i can until i try the update link then it cannot view the page. Either in IE or Fire Fox.
when i google for answers(this might be coinsidence) but i am redirected to site looking similar to a microsoft sitte but wants to sell me all sorts of "PC Tuning Stuff"

#4 trancine

trancine

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:22 PM

I have basically the same problem after dealing with a "windows repair" virus. I think I got rid of the virus using rkill, then dds to identify and delete the virus files, then running malwarebytes, but now I have no icons or programs. The computer looks like I just got it from the factory. All my files appear to be gone (the my documents folder is empty), but if I search for files by name, I can find them, and even though they are all grayed out, I can open them (I'm guessing I have to unhide them like jmcelroy did.) Also like jmcelroy, the computer seems to be working ok except I cannot update (in my case, malwarebytes.) I'm using XP.

Edited by trancine, 03 April 2011 - 01:30 PM.

#5 yutani

yutani

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:15 PM

i have the same problem as trancine, any help would be appreciated..

#6 trancine

trancine

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:29 PM

also, I'm unable to do a system restore - I pick a date and click "next" but nothing happens. I've done a full (overnight) malwarebytes scan and found 2 infected files which were both removed. this is a nasty virus!!! Please help.

#7 yutani

yutani

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

yup system restore just hangs for me too.. this isn't good.. please help?!

#8 trancine

trancine

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic387790.html
not sure how I missed this thread before but it suggests that unhide.exe can recover all hidden program files. Haven't tried it yet but I'm hopeful. There's also discussion on this and other sites about unhiding files manually by clicking hide and then unhide with all folders selected. People seem to have a hard time getting their wallpaper back, though. I found these discussions and more by googling " 'windows repair' malware hide"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users