Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't delete empty folder

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Steve`

Steve`

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

I have a folder with two subfolders but can't delete any of them. the lowest level folder apparently can't be found to delete it.
I've tried in normal and safe mode:

Delete
Virus scanned it
chkdsk
Unlocker
Killbox including Killbox on restart but something prevents Killbox from setting up to delete on restart

This seems pretty stubborn. Suggestions much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:44 AM

Have you tried to take owenership of the file?

This link may be of help.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Steve`

Steve`
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the tip but no joy yet. The security tab reports that I have full control but I tried the "Take Ownership" trick. I got a split second look at the command screen before it disappeared and it looked like something failed on taking ownership...even though it says I have it. The lowest level folder has only a minimal explorer pop-up menu and take ownership didn't show there. It seems like some kind of faulty entry in the directory structure - shows the folder but can't find it to delete it.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:56 PM

I recall a solution from 2 years or so ago that a user in your same predictament was able to "send" the
file/ folder to a floppy disk. I would think if you are able to send it to a CD or floppy it would solve your problem.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Steve`

Steve`
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:05 PM

Gave it a try but no luck.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

What is the name and path of the folder?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

Have you tried from "safe mode"?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Steve`

Steve`
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

c:\users\steve\downloads\prob\EPUB\Steven D. Levitt & Steven J.

#9 Steve`

Steve`
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:43 PM

Have you tried from "safe mode"?

Have tried multiple things in safe mode: delete, killbox, chkdsk
Could not set up killbox to run on restart...some unidentified external process prevented me from doing so, even in safe mode

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

c:\users\username\downloads\prob\EPUB\Steven D. Levitt & Steven J.

Okay - for security purposes you should not post the name of your user account on a public forum. Just change it to "username".

What was in this folder that you downloaded - do you recall? Have you tried unlocker (http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html)?

#11 Steve`

Steve`
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for the tip. It was unpacked from a downloaded rar of ebooks and it looks to me like it was an empty folder when it finally got unpacked - no content in the folder. Other folders unpacked from this one compressed file did unpack OK without error.

#12 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:55 PM

You could try using PendMoves (MoveFile) by Sysinterals (Microsoft)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897556

The usage is explained on the website, pretty simple. Extract the file, open a command prompt and navigate to the pendmoves file. IE. If its in your downloads file type CD C:\users\yourname\downloads\pendmoves

From here type this: movefile "C:\users\yourname\downloads\prob\" ""

The "" indicates that you want to delete the file. Reboot your PC and the program will delete the file on reboot.

You'll have to accept the license when you first run movefile btw

GL

Edited by fueL, 02 April 2011 - 07:55 PM.

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:22 PM

I know you scanned the file but if you only scanned with one security program it would be
a good idea to scan the entire unpacked rar file at the link below. It uses I think 40 programs to scan
and only takes a minute unless they are super busy.
VirusTotal - Free Online Virus and Malware Scan

#14 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:16 PM

Did you install .epub ebooks? Look at the tutorial here to see if you did: http://www.jedisaber.com/eBooks/tutorial.asp
If it is running in 'Services'(Task Manager will show it) ... right click on the line and choose properties. Select disable and stop the service.
Uninstall the program, then delete the folder.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#15 thawee

thawee

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:01 PM

I have had issues recently deleting the C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.

The hosts file was hijacked and invisible to windows explorer.

I tried taking ownership etc.. nothing seemed to work.

I was able to successfully remove and replace the offending file by using Malwarebytes File assassin.

Here is a Link: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products.php

Hope this helps.

P.s. I used the file assassin method of removing the file and just selected the file delete option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users