Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spysheriff Blank Desktop

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bubba707

bubba707

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 02:42 AM

I just read Pilotos post on Spy Sheriff problem and am having the same issue. I got hit with Spy Sheriff virus and downloaded Hijack this, Ewido, Adaware and Reglite per instruction on this website. I got rid of the offending Spy Sheriff issue but now get a blank desktop when I start up. The Icons are still there and available. I can open anything that I want and use the computer normally. However when I go to desktop properties window (through Start>Settings>Control Panel>Display), I can set any background that I want and it shows me a preview of what I've selected, but when I hit "apply" NOTHING! Just a beige screen. I have noticed that it changes from white to beige when I move the mouse from an icon to the open desktop.

When I right click on the blank page and go to properties, I get a Properties box that shows the background as an "HTML Document" and the file name is "file//C:\WINDOWS\web\desktop.html." I have tried to locate that file and it does not show up on any search. I have used file explorer to try to locate it in the C:\Windows Directory and can't locate it there either. It appears that it is "on top" of the desktop background and won't go away. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to remove the offending file.

Hopefully this is more clear than the previous post on this issue and someone will have a clue how to fix it.

Thanks in advance
Bubba

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users