Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Green Lasers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:30 AM

I want to buy a green laser, but I want to know the specific differences between pulse and constant wave. These are the 2 I'm interested in:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/5a47/

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/657a/

I like the double one, but its pulse, and there might be disadvantages to it.

Also, if you are experienced in the ways of lasers and know of a better one on Amazon.com (must spend gift cirtificate), please let me know. I'd like it to be one of the 4.5MW~5MW ones so I can point to the sky 'n stuff.

Edited by Lanscader, 28 December 2005 - 01:41 AM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:26 AM

I'd like it to be one of the 4.5MW~5MW ones so I can point to the sky 'n stuff

Why would you want to point a laser towards the sky? :thumbsup:

Illuminating Facts About Laser Pointers

FDA Consumer magazine
May-June 2005 Issue

By Linda Bren

Laser pointers are misused when they are directed at people or treated as toys. The light energy from a laser pointer aimed into the eye can be more damaging than staring directly into the sun. And the startling effect of a bright beam of light can cause serious accidents when aimed at a driver in a car, a pilot in a plane, or even a person holding a cup of hot coffee.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:7lcvnT...en+lasers&hl=en

Suggested Safety Rules

The following safety rules are a few "common sense " rules recommended for laser pointers:

NEVER point a laser pointer of any power at anybody. Pointers should be used to point out or emphasize inanimate objects such as slide images, pipes, asbestos, laboratory apparatus, be used in non-human scientific experiments, etc.

Avoid "mirror like" (specular) targets and NEVER - NEVER stare into a pointer! Also, NEVER view a laser beam using an optical instrument (such as binoculars, microscope, etc.) unless the procedure has been technically approved by appropriate safety personnel.

Always use LOWEST power rating possible and highest divergence where possible. No laser pointer rated at a Class 3B should ever be used without special provisions-such as medical surveillance and approval of a LSO.

These laser pointers are not toys and should not be used by juveniles. As a aid for this suggestion, it is recommended that the batteries be taken out of the pointer when not in use.

Some places may wish to require facility registration of these devices in order to impress on users the need for safety awareness. The appropriate safety personnel should require that all laser pointer be correctly and conspicuously labeled with the correct warning sign. Facilities may wish to develop their own one page advisory note for all registered laser pointer users.

Safety personnel and pointer users should be aware that wavelengths around 400 to 500 nm (i.e. blue light region) can cause biological effects of a photobiological nature (e.g. like "sunburn").

Lasers operating at the peak of the Photopic Response (Figure 1) can produce significantly greater evoked response and should be used with great caution.

One should NEVER use a laser pointer above 5 mW

Edited by Scarlett, 28 December 2005 - 09:55 AM.

Posted Image

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:35 AM

I want one too! There fun to take to the beach and play with the people who are walking dogs at 11pm the dogs.

#4 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:49 AM

Why would you want to point a laser towards the sky? :thumbsup:

Apparently its called skypointing or skyspotting or something, and you can point out constelations and stars and stuff. Plus it just looks really cool.

Just have to advoid airplanes.

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:20 AM

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/article_1429_1.asp

Laser pointers are designed to illuminate inanimate objects. Never shine a laser pointer toward any person, aircraft, or other vehicle.

Never look directly into the beam of a laser pointer of any type.

Do not allow children to use a pointer unsupervised. Laser pointers are not toys.

If your telescope is equipped with a laser pointer that has a "constant-on" setting, do not leave the instrument unattended with the laser switched on.

Do not aim a laser pointer toward mirrors or other shiny surfaces. The reflected beam may inadvertently strike someone in the eye.

Do not aim a laser pointer skyward if you hear or see an aircraft of any kind flying overhead.

Do not use a laser pointer within 3 kilometers (2 miles) of an airport.

The use of laser pointers is prohibited at some star parties and other astronomy gatherings. Always comply with such restrictions.

Be aware of irresponsible uses of pointers so that the psychological effect will be minimized if you happen to be illuminated by one.

Do not purchase a laser pointer if it does not have a "caution" or "danger" sticker on it identifying its class. Report suspicious devices to the authorities.

Laser pointers sold in the United States are required to carry a warning label. The label on a Class 1 or 2 laser with a power output less than 1 milliwatt (mW) reads "Caution." The label on a more powerful Class 3a laser, such as the 5-mW green (532-nanometer)reads "Danger"

Edit: I just want everyone to be safe. :thumbsup:

Edited by Scarlett, 28 December 2005 - 11:16 AM.

Posted Image

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:16 PM

NEVER POINT THEM AT AIRPLANES!!

One guy on the news did that as the plan was taking off and it crashed. He got in big time trouble. I dont know if anyone got hurt I dont remember.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:16 PM

You have to use extreme caution with a device as that. Mirror and other reflections can do serious and unintentional harm.
And yes aiming at a plane even by accident Will bring a visit from the FBI and they ask a lot of questions.
Also safe storage when not in use.( think of whom else may be able to get a hold of it)
just be careful
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:30 AM

Yeah. I heard of all the laser and airplane problems and, of course, I plan to advoid airplanes (and people). I've just always loved lasers, for some reason.

Anyway, Anyone know about the pulse vs. constant stuff? I guess I mostly want to know if I swing it in the dark if there will look like multiple dots on the wall (kinda like waving your hand under a strobe light, or computer screen).

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:27 AM

Well what I would do lancaster is go to ebay. Search for a green laser with the same 5mw and ask a seller about it. Some of the sellers there have to have one themselves. Maybe they could help.
Just a suggestion....

#10 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 04:44 AM

Yea those would be fun to get! :thumbsup:

However with all the side-effects of something going wrong. I'd just end up using it inside. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users