Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 corrupt

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:25 AM

My Toshiba L455D decided it doesn't want to load Windows 7 anymore.

It goes to the windows logo/loading screen but after that it is nothing but a cursor in a black background. Same with safemode; it goes through its list of processes being started but failed to load the gui.

I have tried using Toshiba's Restoration partition/program but it was no use. The startup fixer claims that windows had loaded successfully and did not need to be fixed. System Restore doesn't work either. One of the two backups, created yesterday, worked without a problem but failed to fix the issue. The second one from 2 days ago failed to rewrite some file in Thunderbird's folder, which I don't even use anyways.

I would like to either fix this issue, or install puppy linux or another small OS on my thumb drive so I can backup my data. Unetbootin doesn't even recognize my it, or anything else you might have to suggest.

Thanks a bunch,
-Mike

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:33 AM

Do you have another computer to slave the drive too?

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:03 AM

Make a system rescue CD http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 t3s

t3s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

I would like to either fix this issue, or install puppy linux or another small OS on my thumb drive so I can backup my data. Unetbootin doesn't even recognize my it, or anything else you might have to suggest.

I meant to say

I would like to either fix this issue or install puppy linux (or another small OS) to my thumb drive (Unetbootin doesn't even recognize it) so I can backup my data. Unless anything else you might have to suggest?

Do you have another computer to slave the drive too?

Not exactly... I have access to my neighbors ancient XP machine with Mobo and HD problems, and does not support SAT but But I am currently on my 10Gig Ubuntu 9.1 partition on mine if that helps any. Apparently the bootloader got deleted from my Thumb-Drive/"key" and could not load Puppy. I then remembered that I have 5 or so types of ubuntu live disks.

I have 13 DVD's I am getting ready to use to backup my data unless you have a better suggestion? Cuz I really don't want to use all of my disks, which I don't think is even enough for what I need to anyways.

Make a system rescue CD http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

Looks like it only supports Linux partitions.

Thanks a bunch,
-Mike

Edited by Newb4Life, 02 April 2011 - 04:02 PM.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:45 PM

Use the DVD approach, because that is the only way due to the other machine having hard drive issues and no SATA Support.

#6 thawee

thawee

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:14 PM

I have 13 DVD's I am getting ready to use to backup my data unless you have a better suggestion? Cuz I really don't want to use all of my disks, which I don't think is even enough for what I need to anyways.

At this point I am wondering if launching from the windows 7 boot CD could resolve your issues at least to some degree using the command prompt and typing chkdsk c: /r /p Note: /p may not be used anymore..

Another way to check your drive for issues is using the Ultimate Boot CD Link:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

On the parted magic OS there is a Smart utility for your hard drive. Allows for quick / long tests as well as the ability to see the Smart Error Logs.

Once you have it loaded you can check the hard drive for issues this could be causing the boot process to hang..

You can also attempt to do a system restore from the windows 7 cd, but i am not sure how successful this will be.

If you don't have the Windows CD you can use the cable mentioned below.

It could also be malware / virus. - If this is the case I would recommend buying yourself a external hard drive Usb cable, so you can connect your hard drive to your buddies system and scan it for malware. (Note: Use more than 3 virus scanners at least including ms malware removal tool)

Malwarebytes
super antispyware
avast anti virus
avir anti virus

Here is a Link to the cable you can use for this process:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0249962

Hope this helps.

Thawee

Edited by thawee, 02 April 2011 - 11:18 PM.

#7 t3s

t3s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

Well.. Grub seems to have screwed up my ability to boot from Toshiba's recovery partition.

It is supposed to be dev/sda2 but all three windows entries now load the same thing...(Windows 7).

So it looks like now I will have to make the disk to run chkdsk.

Any idea how to fix this?

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

what happens if you hit the key combination to boot to a device? It should give you the options to boot to the recovery partitions.

#9 t3s

t3s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:16 PM

what happens if you hit the key combination to boot to a device? It should give you the options to boot to the recovery partitions.

Doesn't work. My options are to boot from HDD, CD/DVD, LAN

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#10 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

From "System Rescue CD"

This tutorial explains how you can backup the data from a Windows computer that cannot be booted any more. There are many reasons why a windows computer could stop working: installation of a bad driver, system crash with disk corruption, system files deleted, ... In that case you can just reinstall the operating system, but the most important thing is to first backup your data. If Windows is not bootable, you can just boot using SystemRescueCd to do that. Even running Linux, it's able to read the windows disk, and then you will be able to backup your data through the network. All the steps are detailed in this tutorial so that windows users with no knowledge of Linux can follow it to backup their data.

http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_Backup_data_from_an_unbootable_windows_computer

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users