Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Hard Drive problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jb777

jb777

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:06 PM

I am using an Acer Aspire One laptop.
I recently got assistance from a mod over at the Malware forum.
After removing all Malware and so forth my computer was still running quite slow and the mod had me run SeaTools. When I ran SMART test, it failed but Short DST & Short generic passed.
I thoroughly cleaned the dust out the inside of this laptop.

I have replaced a laptop hard drive once before so I can change if needed, but I am wondering if it is possible to fix this drive?

Thanks,

J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:11 PM

It's most likely a mechanic failure. You are better off replacing the hard drive rather then having to risk to lose your data.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

Agreed with killer. S.M.A.R.T. is a detection system for your hard drive/motherboard. Your hard drive communicates information about what is going on inside itself to the motherboard, which checks to make sure everything is peachy. If you're getting this error, something is less than peachy...

It's better to replace your hard drive now, while there is -- hopefully -- still a possibility of cloning it to a new drive.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:39 AM

Back it up, store important files on external media then run it into the ground. It will fail eventually (they all do) but it could be awhile. I have had drives fail smart and run for years and ones that were dead pass.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:44 AM

A new laptop hard drive is fairly priced depending on the capacity.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 jb777

jb777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

Thanks guys.
I like the idea of running it into the ground, but it is running excruciatingly slow. Especially when I have more than one program open. Eventually programs freeze up.
Is this related to the hard drive problem?

Thanks,

jen

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:42 PM

Could be a memory Issue Download Memtest86 ISO and burn it to a CD. Reboot the computer and let it run the short AND long test. It could also be the HDD since its failing access times will increase as it tries to find files in midst of bad sectors and if the read/write heads are failing it will take longer for the HDD to read the information.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users