Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor going from dual to quad back to dual

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rfgggg

rfgggg

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:32 PM

When i built my computer i bought a AMD Athlon II 7850 dual core black edition...about a week ago my power supply died and i just got a new one yesterday...when i plugged it all in and started it up windows was showing my cpu as a Phenom fx 7850 quad core.....at first i thought it was just windows messing up but after a few benchmarks (and running a few games) i noticed that my performance had also increaded....then i thought it might be a bios setting for my cpu clock going from auto to optimized so i shutdown changed it back to auto and its back to a dual core with it lesser performance....so i restarted again to see if i could get it back and changed the setting back to optimized and nope its still a dual...anyone know if it may have just been windows and my programs messing up along with my imagination or did somthing actually happen to change it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

I have no idea why something like this would happen. It might be reasonable if you had a x3 core Phenom that was showing up as x4. When processors are created, the ones with a single defective core are marked as x3, and the defective core is disabled.

Perhaps, and this is just a guess, your Athlon II Dual Core is actually an Athlon II x4 with two disabled cores after testing -- much like I spoke of the Phenom x3 coming from an x4. Perhaps the cores weren't properly disabled and have somehow reactivated -- and, further, windows has mistakenly labeled it a Phenom?

As to how to fix/change something like this -- I have no idea. I'd contact AMD about it and see what they say.

#3 rfgggg

rfgggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

ok so i was fiddling with my bios settings to see if i could get it again and i did manage to....bios was showing a AMD Phenom FX-7850 Quad-Core Processor (64bit) so it wasnt windows making a mistake....and i was overclocking alittle with my motherboreds built in overclocker and got to 20% with it still working but then at 25% it crashed and had to reset bios and my processor went back to old one.....so i messed with settings more untill i finally got somthing...tough the somthing was weird...it was showing a AMD engineering processor (64bit) at 1.6 ghz.....then messed with settings more and its back to the original one.....i have not managed to get it back...tough next time if i do i will take a picture of my settings so i can remember them though i think its more of a random thing....

#4 rfgggg

rfgggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

haha! got it again! http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1755285

#5 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:15 PM

Is this only showing in CPU-Z? Have you tried other programs to determine the CPU type/speed, or just CPU-Z?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users