Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloud computing issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 memea

memea

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

Greetings,

Our company purchased nearly two hundred thin clients predominantly HP T5135 thin clients running ThinConnect in 2008?.

For nearly a year users have encountered speed issues with the thin clients T5135. I recently joined and suspect that the problem was because Office 2010 installed on the network.

I identified that that the T5135 has a 400MHZ VIA processor, and 128 MB RAM when Office 2010 requires a 500 MHZ CPU and 256MB RAM. I found by research that the T5135 runs apps locally not on the server.

Because we are a charity 200 thin clients represents a lot of money for us.

We also have a large number of netbooks, laptops and desktops which run citrix that do not have this problem.

Is there a way of retro fitting the thin clients?

What I was thinking was maybe installing a low spec linux os and a low spec browser e.g. chrome and installing the citrix plugin?
Anythoughts on an os running happily on a 400MHZ CPU, 128MB of RAM and only a small flash drive, running a citrix capable browser.

Because there would be a lot of work involved in getting this going I would welcome any technical assistance from the community :o)!

All opinions welcome!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MBakerNH

MBakerNH

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

This doesn't mke much sense. The whole idea of thin-clients is that they work remotely, either connecting to a Citrix or Terminal Server. The only processing it does locally is thin-client OS stuff (video, network, keyboard/mouse, etc.) If it actually processes Office, it would need an operating system to run it in.

I don't think they are processing much of anything at all.

If there is load locally, it might be video processing. Check to make sure that the graphics are not set too high (detail level, NOT resolution - that is monitor dependant.) Also, make sure they are not launching more than one session. After that, I think the other major bottle neck is the server to which they are connecting. So, either the network is a bottle neck or the server is under-equipped to handle these kind of connections. Try to isolate, maybe by sticking in a second switch, if available, or stopping all other programs running on the server, if any.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users