Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD when trying to play online videos

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ncs22

ncs22

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:02 PM

Hi. Yesterday, I got 2 Blue Screens in my Windows 7 Home Premium. I have an HP Envy laptop. I had updated my video driver (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850) earlier in the day (although I experienced similar Blue Screens with my old video driver version too...the old one was also the Mobility Radeon HD 5850, just an earlier version). I was trying to watch an online video in Internet Explorer 8, and I got a Blue Screen. So I had to do a manual shutdown. When it started up again, I chose for Windows to check online for a solution to the problem (but Windows never got back to me with one, if it found it). Later on, when trying to watch a YouTube video, the same Blue Screen appeared, and once again I had to do a manual shutdown. It may be related to my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850, maybe even other things which I can't be sure of...also, I mentioned that I got similar BSODs with my old video driver version too. At that time, I'm pretty sure I was using Firefox instead of IE when trying to watch the online videos. By the way, I was able to watch several Youtube videos normally yesterday, but on one occassion I did get that BSOD. Also, here is what at least part of the BSOD said (on both occassions yesterday): "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed." Please help..thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

Download BlueScreenView (in Zip file)
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 ncs22

ncs22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:02 PM

Hi, thank you for your prompt reply. Here is my BSOD.txt logfile, as requested:

==================================================
Dump File : 040111-21481-01.dmp
Crash Time : 4/1/2011 1:25:00 AM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000116
Parameter 1 : fffffa80`078844e0
Parameter 2 : fffff880`04bb9f5c
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000002
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+70740
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.16695 (win7_gdr.101026-1503)
Processor : x64
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\040111-21481-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600
Dump File Size : 336,529

Dump File : 040111-21294-01.dmp
Crash Time : 4/1/2011 12:40:24 AM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000116
Parameter 1 : fffffa80`0795a4e0
Parameter 2 : fffff880`04a06f5c
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000002
Caused By Driver : atikmpag.sys
Caused By Address : atikmpag.sys+6f5c
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\040111-21294-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600
Dump File Size : 336,529

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:07 PM

Not really much we can figure out from two BSODs, however the second one indicates video driver issue.

Download System Information for Windows (SIW free version)
No installation required.

After it scans your computer, navigate to Hardware>Sensors and post all info from there.

Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 ncs22

ncs22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

How do I post the info from the SIW? I can't seem to copy the data...

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:14 PM

You can either post a screenshot, or type it manually.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 thawee

thawee

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:48 PM

1) I was trying to watch an online video in Internet Explorer 8, and I got a Blue Screen.
2) Later on, when trying to watch a YouTube video, the same Blue Screen appeared,

Based on your description of the problem. I honestly would look at reinstalling adobe flash player and adobe Air. It could be that they are causing some issue if you're not experiencing any BSOD otherwise.

Here is a link to adobe flash player: http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

Hope this helps.

Thawee

#8 ncs22

ncs22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:28 PM

Hi..here is my SIW screenshot attached...as for reinstalling Adobe, I will wait to see what the specific feedback is regarding my particular blue screen messages...problem could be anything at this point...thanks..

Attached Files

Edited by ncs22, 02 April 2011 - 11:32 PM.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:14 AM

Does the issue happen only, when you use online videos?
Does regular video play fine?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 ncs22

ncs22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:45 AM

Yes, the issue does only seem to happen when trying to play online videos. For example, I tried downloading a .rm file and playing it in my RealPlayer, and it works just fine...no BSODs. When I speak of online videos, I am really just talking about 2 sites (I haven't even tried watching videos on many other sites): Youtube and ConsumerReports. In Youtube, I have only ever once gotten a BSOD after hitting the "play" button...and that came shortly after getting a BSOD when trying to play a video on the ConsumerReports website. Trying to play a video on CR is a pretty good way to get my computer to BSOD...I have no idea why. There was a time not too long ago when I could do so problem-free...but no more. And I cannot think of any major change that I made to my computer to cause such a problem to arise...it just sort of started happening out-of-the-blue. My computer is brand-new, and it's pretty much fresh-out-of-the-box still.....the only software I have really added are CCleaner and iTunes (initially I had also added YahooMessenger, Opera, Safari, and Firefox...but have since uninstalled all of those). CCleaner is something that I use quite sparingly...using the most conservative default settings. I have only ever used it once to clean out my registry...and that time, I only deleted the entries that clearly were related to software that I had uninstalled. Plus I backed up the changes I made to the registry that time. Like I said initially, if my memory serves correctly, I believe that at least once I did get a BSOD when trying to play a video on ConsumerReports when using Firefox (this latest one was with IE8). That BSOD I believe contained the same general error message (involving the display driver). So I have received these kinds of BSODs when trying to play videos on ConsumerReports using both Firefox (version 3.6 I think) and IE8...and using both my old version of ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 and also the updated version (version 8.770.5.0). Thanks..

Edited by ncs22, 03 April 2011 - 11:49 AM.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:28 PM

Close IE.
Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons). Same problem?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 ncs22

ncs22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:57 PM

I tried IE without addons...but when I go to CR's site to try to test for the problem, I am not even able to start playing any videos, because it says I need to install adobe flash player...

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:01 PM

In IE, go Tools>Internet options>Advanced tab, click on "Reset" button.
Restart IE and see how it goes.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 ncs22

ncs22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:00 PM

Wow..so far that seems to have done the trick..thanks! After resetting IE I tested the CR video and I did not BSOD. Then I enabled a few addons that were previously enabled, and still the BSODs stayed away...any idea why or how resetting IE may have helped? My BSODs seemed to be pointing to a problem with my display driver...I will point out one thing though: on one occasion just now, when trying to play a CR video, the whole screen blacked out for a sec.....when it came back, a little popup bubble appeared at the bottom-right of my screen saying "display driver AMD stopped working and has successfully recovered." Also, in the little square on the screen where the video would have played, there was just a solid green color. I then refreshed the page and it was alright...is that driver still a concern to you? Thanks..

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

Unless it'll happen again, I wouldn't worry much about it.

I'd also try to install some pristine browser, like Opera (if you don't have it) and see how it goes there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users