Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windox XP freezes at least once a day

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Christian Andersson

Christian Andersson

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

Hello there!

My Windows has started to freeze frequently. System: Windows XP SP 3, 2.9 Intel Quad.

A couple of weeks ago, I got some very nice help on this forum on how to remove a virus called Win32/Heur.
Thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic384057.html/page__pid__2162940#entry2162940

In that procedure, it seems like we cleaned some parts of the register as well.

Now, my computer freezes once a day, or something like that. I didn't notice any problems immediately after the Virus-fix.
Then, I started to get frequent freezes.
1. First, I suspected Firefox, so I did some clean-profile stuff. After that, I got the impression that things got better.
2. Then the problem continued. So I thought it was since I installed DropBox. So I often shut down DropBox now.
3. I still get the freeze. Today it happened while I had Thunderbird + Skype open.

I read on the internet and found out that it often happens due to corrupt registry. I checked for System Restore points, but I found out that there are no ones any more
(they disappeared during the Win32/Heur removal process that I followed on this forum).

I also suspected that it could be due to overheating of the sysytem, so now I enable all the fans, but I get the impression that it still happens, and the temperature according to SpeedFan is low (I can see that on the frozen screen).

Can you recommend some good registry check or something I can do to analyze this problem?
Of course, if I could, I would have tried a System Restore action...

Best Regards
/Christian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:14 AM

There is no "registry check" and stay away from any utilities that claim to repair or "clean" the registry. I generally avoid threads where the OP says the problem began after the system was infected. It is my opinion that the best solution for a seriously infected system is a format and clean install (yes, I know that pretty much any virus, trojan, etc can be cleared from the system -- but there are too often remnants or ill effects even after the best "cleansing"). However, if you like you can try a repair install. You need to use an XP CD of the exact same version as is installed. Then follow these instructions:

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option. Done properly, all apps and preferences will remain intact. You'll have to go to Windows Update and re-download / install all updates after the installation is complete. Here's a detailed walk-through: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

Download System Information for Windows (SIW free version)
No installation required.

After it scans your computer, navigate to Hardware>Sensors and post all info from there.

Posted Image

==============================================================================

Please download VEW and save it to your Desktop: http://images.malwareremoval.com/vino/VEW.exe

Double-click VEW.exe then under Select log to query, select:
Application
System

Under Select type to list, select:
Critical (Vista only)
Error

Click the radio button for Number of events
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

In Notepad, click Edit > Select all then Edit > Copy
Reply to this post, click in the reply window and press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the log.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 Christian Andersson

Christian Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:00 PM

Thank you for your response.

SIW:
Posted Image

The VEW says: "VEW has not been coded for your language (Swedish)".

Best Regards
/Christian

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

Let's try something else....

Please download MiniToolBox and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Windows version, partition and memory size.
Click Go and post the result.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Christian Andersson

Christian Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:13 AM

Thank you for your suggestion!

Actually, I had a look in Control Panel -> Administration -> ... Event Log after the failed try with VEW.exe, and I got similar information as MiniToolbox extracted for me.
After that, I disabled Bonjour Service (I don't use the iTunes much anyway...) and I also disabled Google Update.
But then, I suspect that a serious error is that System Restore doesn't seem to work very good anymore.
I've been able to manually creaste a new System Restore point (... I THINK... because the restore point is there)...
If it's the automatic System Restore creation points that fails, I could of course inactivate that (but then it seems like old System Restore points will disappear too, according to the documentation...).

Here's the MiniToolBox log, translated from Swedish to English:

MiniToolBox by Farbar
Ran by Ägaren at 2011-04-02 09:33:24
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (X86)

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (03/31/2011 07:39:25 PM) (Source: Bonjour Service) (User: )
Description: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 3139953

Description: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledEvent 3139953

Description: Task Scheduling Error: Continuously busy for more than a second

Error: (03/28/2011 07:52:32 PM) (Source: Bonjour Service) (User: )
Description: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 13882687

Description: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledEvent 13882687

Error: (03/27/2011 11:51:59 AM) (Source: Bonjour Service) (User: )
Description: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 3907

Description: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledEvent 3907

Error: (03/27/2011 11:51:57 AM) (Source: Bonjour Service) (User: )
Description: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 1953

System errors:
=============
Error: (04/01/2011 07:44:42 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: Service SSPORT could not be started due to the following error:
%%2

Description: Service DgiVecp could not be started due to the following error:
%%20

Description: Service Driver for parallell port could not be started due to the following errord av följande fel:
%%1058

Error: (04/01/2011 05:34:35 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: Service Driver for System Restore Service was aborted with following error:
%%2

Description: Service SSPORT could not be started due to the following error:
%%2

Description: Service Google Update (gupdate) could not be started due to the following error:
%%3

Description: Service DgiVecp could not be started due to the following error:
%%20

Description: Service Driver for parallell port could not be started due to the following error:
%%1058

Error: (04/01/2011 05:34:24 PM) (Source: SRService) (User: )
Description: Could not init System Restore.

Error: (03/31/2011 05:32:51 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: Service Driver for System Restore Service was aborted with following error:
%%2

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (03/31/2011 07:39:25 PM) (Source: Bonjour Service)(User: )
Description: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 3139953

Description: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledEvent 3139953

Error: (03/28/2011 07:52:32 PM) (Source: Bonjour Service)(User: )
Description: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 13882687

Description: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledEvent 13882687

Error: (03/27/2011 11:51:59 AM) (Source: Bonjour Service)(User: )
Description: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 3907

Description: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledEvent 3907

Error: (03/27/2011 11:51:57 AM) (Source: Bonjour Service)(User: )
Description: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 1953

========================= End of Event log errors =========================

========================= Memory info: ====================================

Percentage of memory in use: 23%
Total physical RAM: 3326.97 MB
Available physical RAM: 2539.94 MB
Total Pagefile: 6516 MB
Available Pagefile: 5857.8 MB
Total Virtual: 2899.88 MB
Available Virtual: 2853.64 MB

======================= Partitions: =======================================

2 Drive c: (PRESARIO) (Fixed) (Total:745.06 GB) (Free:439.01 GB) NTFS
3 Drive d: (PRESARIO_RP) (Fixed) (Total:22.57 GB) (Free:19.43 GB) FAT32
5 Drive f: (Elements) (Fixed) (Total:465.75 GB) (Free:299.69 GB) NTFS
7 Drive h: (NOLIMIT) (Removable) (Total:3.72 GB) (Free:1.84 GB) FAT32

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:32 AM

When your computer freezes will it unfreeze, or you have to do hard restart?

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista/7), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista/7).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista/7, most likely, you won't need it).
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista/7 case).

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 Christian Andersson

Christian Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:19 AM

Hello there,

First, I should say that the computer has not frozen today, and it did not freeze yesterday evening after I disabled GoogleUpdate and BonjourService.

I did the check "sfc /scannow" - no reported problems.

I need to do a hard restart with the power-switch button.
When the compouter freezes, I can often move the mouse pointer, at least for a start.
I can also task switch between the windows, but they don't update the graphics content.
Then, after a while all the apps completely freeze.
Yesterday, all the apps froze when I was talking through Skype, but I could continue to talk.
Then, 30 seconds - 1 minute later, the audio-froze too and I heard one constant tone being played.

A couple of days ago, when I came to the computer, the clock had "stopped", which indicates that the picture was frozen.

Let me get back in this thread if I get another freeze within a couple of days.
If the services-disabled-action mentioned above has not solved the problem, it should occur soon, because it has happened pretty frequently the last week.

Thank you for your assistance so far.
/Christian

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:48 AM

You're very welcome Posted Image
Good news, so far....

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

There is no "registry check" and stay away from any utilities that claim to repair or "clean" the registry.

It is better that you don't fix the register without reason, but when you have delete a program, than must you also do this in the register.
When you fix your Windows register manuel, than take you the risc that you make just a big mistake, meanwhile you fix your register with a registry program just like CCleaner, than get you no problems.
When I have download and install a program and after a while say I: Go away with that, I don't like it anymore, than I fix my register with CCleaner.
I can sure you Allan and other people, I have no problems after fixing.
So I don't understanding why some people say: Don't use any register repair program.
By the way: Do you know that you can make self your settings in CCleaner and also in the other register repair program just like register cleaner 2.6.6 from Eusing.?

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 Christian Andersson

Christian Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:46 PM

That's an interesting discussion.
I have sometimes used Registry Cleaners. The last time was when I tried to use AVGs RegCleaner.
It found a lot of "errors" and it cleaned the registry. Half a year ago, I believe.
Then, after that, I actually started to get some problems... Nothing really big, but the overall experience was that the computer worked better before the clean. ;-)

So I can agree - unless there are some really great benefits with doing a reg clean, I will stay away from it.
I think actually that the anti-virus procedure that I followed on this forum cleaned a a bit too much and that's probably why I have problems now.
But when I choose between keeping a virus and possible future registry problems, I would easily pick the later one 10 out of 10 times. I know that the people here do what they can to help out, so I'm still really thankful for all the help I get here. (Some peopled adviced me to re-install Windows. Maybe that would work as well. It's just that it will take so much time, re-installing Windows and all the apps that may have to be re-installed as well.)

Anyway... no computer freeze, yet. Keeping my fingers crossed...

/Christian

#13 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:31 AM

I am for a big part agree with you, Broni.
Let me say were I am not agree with you and that is, that you don't must use a registry cleaner program.
Look in my post before this reply, did I say anything about the Windows register, what I said is true.
It is better that someone uses a registry cleaner than that someone do this manuel and he or she makes a mistake, than has he or she a problem.
When you download a program and after downloading, you installed the program, than is it not only the software what would been install on the drive, the data of that program will also be nestled in the Windows registry.
When you uninstall the program, than is still the data of that program in your Windows registry.
Data from one program is not a disaster and it is than also not needed for clean the registry.
From data of one program in the registry, should be the Computer not slow, but when you uninstall more programs and you don't clean the registry, than the computer will be slow.
I read many times posts from members: Help, my computer is slow or help I think that I have an infection, because my Windows is freezing.
That is not always the case, in the most cases is that a dirty registry.
Of course is it smart that you uses a registry cleaner program were you can make a backup from the registry.
CCleaner is not a bad program, but it don't make a backup and Registry Cleaner 2.6.6 from Eusing does this well.
When I removed programs, than I clean up my Windows registry via CCleaner or free registry cleaner from Eusing and I get no problems with that.
Before I use the free Registry Cleaner from Eusing, used I CCleaner and I got no problems.
I did use CCleaner many years and I have not seen problems with that.
Personally think I that when a user use a registry cleaner and he or she got troubles, that he or she did what else, were he or she got registry troubles.
It is strange that the registry cleaners are dangerous for the system from your opinion and others and that I use a registry cleaner and I have no meet problems with that. Ra Ra how is that possible.
I can sure you that I am not a Magician.
So I do know that not all people are smart on that area and it is better that users they are not familiar with some case on computer area, use a registry cleaner program, but take care that you make backups from the register.
Or that you take care that you have a backup from the whole system via an advanced backup program.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:45 PM

but when you uninstall more programs and you don't clean the registry, than the computer will be slow.

There is absolutely no existing proof about the above.
I never, ever used any registry cleaner and my computer runs perfectly fine.
I strongly suggest, you click on links in my previous reply and read what computer pros have to say about it.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:52 PM

To add to Broni's post..... Aside from the fact that registry cleaners are at best useless and at worst dangerous, having "excess" entries in the registry doesn't effect anything. Do you understand how large the registry is? Any space used by entries left behind by uninstalled apps is absolutely miniscule in comparison to the size of the registry. And of course the amount of data in the registry was much greater before the apps were uninstalled - did that effect anything? Of course not.

Edited by Allan, 04 April 2011 - 05:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users