Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Machine slow / looping / freeze

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pasha19

pasha19

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:37 AM

I'm not sure where this belongs but the focus of the freeze activity appears to be msoxmled.exe & msohtmed.exe which are portions of MS OFFICE that according to the sites I check are involved in HTML PRINTING and XML EDITING.

Background FYI

My machine was checked for viruses a short time ago (as in days). The last comment of the virus check indicated installation of a firewall may help. After the check was complete I attempted to install a zone alarm firewall and my machine completely froze in short order after reboot (several times). Disabling security software after a power button restart permitted me to remove the Zone Alarm Firewall with Add/Remove programs. (After reviewing content in this site Windows Firewall in Windows XP not as acceptable as the versions available in Vista and System 7, so ) I tried Comodo Firewall it installs but seems to freeze the entire machine (requiring a power button reboot) in short order if i do not allow startup to complete before opening an application (which is probably due to my initiating an application too soon, so I wait now)..

Problem falling under Windows Office Applications

The machine entered what appeared to be a freeze like / very slow operation situation today but unlike many situations lately I got task manager up and it continued running. (This activity made browser activity intermittent and often pages failed to paint completely.) WIth nothing but task manager (shutting down apps I initiated) running MSOXMLED.EXE and MSOHTMED.EXE were running including high disk activity and consuming about 40% of the CPU (total including system activities). (this activity continued for a least an 1/2 an hour maybe even a whole hour) Is there are reason these html printing and xml editing portions of MS OFFICE should be working so hard when they have NO apparent assigned tasks?

PS I scanned the computer for locations of these files -- I scanned the Prefetch and installed versions of these files with virustotal and they appear themselves to be clean. There was a version of these files in a .CAB file on the D:\ drive used for reinstallation on this HP machine that I did not scan.

I tried disabling all MS browser extensions and add ons during the 1/2 hour or so but it did not address the extended period of what appears to be unnecessary activity. Is there any indication as to why these applications are invoked to drive up CPU activity and DISK I/O activity for no readily apparent reason in terms of end user activity?

I tried rebooting the machine and proceeded very slowly and doing the similar things -- these actions did NOTreplicate themselves. Temporary periods of applications not responding still occur but Task manager freezes (does not respond) with all running apps during those periods. The freezes have been temporary but extended (minutes at a time) since the restart.

Edited by pasha19, 01 April 2011 - 11:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

You've tried the uninstall/reinstall routine?

Office is properly updated for critical updates/SPs?

There is no necessity to use a 3d-party firewall...Windows has a built-in firewall that works fine for the vast majority of persons with computers.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users