Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Format Harddrive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tat2jstar

tat2jstar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:08 PM

I am trying to put a different hard dive (that someone gave me) in my desktop computer. The hard drive is a Western Digita WD Protegel WD400 40GB. The problem I am having is that while in DOS, and at the screen where I can format the hard drive it tells me that it "can't access the drive". Is there something wrong with it or am I doing something wrong? How can I get the hard drive to work so that I can get my computer working again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 03:58 AM

Have you properly configured your bios to recognize another drive? Is the drive IDE? Sata? Other?

#3 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:29 AM

Sounds like you haven't configured your Bios to recognise the new drive. You need to go into the set-up bios configuration and change the setting to recognise the new drive. To do this just press "ESC" "F2" or the "DEL" key to get into the bios setup - (depends on what MOBo you have) and change from there.

Good luck.
JTH

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:20 AM

Since someone gave you the drive they may have had it setup as Slave. Make sure it is Master. If you are Slaving the drive DOA may have a RAMDrive as D:\ and pushed all the drives back a letter. If you think its D or E it maybe E or F.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 tat2jstar

tat2jstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:24 PM

I configured the drive and it is reconized on startup. The drive is an IDE. But when I go to FDISK it it still comes up with "unable to access drive 1". I don't know to do so I can get it working? What can I do next?

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:26 AM

Are you trying to ADD the drive to your PC or REPLACE an existing drive?

When you say it is recognised at startup what do you mean? You see the make and model in the POST tests?

What operating system is on your PC?

What operating system is/was on the PC the 'new' drive came from?

When you put the 'new' drive in your PC what did you set the jumpers to? Did you connect it on the same cable as the existing drive or with the CDROM or something else?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users