Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files On USB External Hard Drive Display as 0 KB...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 BFarmer1980

BFarmer1980

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:01 AM

My father uses a Seagate USB external hard drive (file system is NTFS) connected to his laptop running Windows 7. He previously used the drive with a laptop running Windows XP Media Center.

Recently, a rather strange problem has arisen. It seems that a large number of files (Word Documents, .rtf files, media files, etc.--all different kinds of files) that have been on the drive for awhile are now displaying as 0 kb in file size, and either open up blank, or are unable to open.

Now, here's where it gets stranger: Files that are in a folder (i.e. X:\Documents), are showing up as 0 kb, as described above. Files that are in a sub-folder, however (i.e. X:\Documents\Word) are unaffected.

He has a setup with onlinefilefolder.com (through GoDaddy) that allows him to sync files from this external hard drive into a folder on the Online File Folder through the Windows Explorer. It seems that even some of the files on the online file folder are affected in the same way. One particular Microsoft Publisher file, for example, displays as 115 kb online, but when downloaded, displays as 0 kb--both on his laptop and on my own.

I don't know if moving files from his external hard drive directly to my hard drive would produce the same effect. He lives two town over, so I'm not on-site with the affected drive. I do know, though, that when he moved file from the external hard drive to another laptop's internal hard drive (running Vista), the file displayed the correct file size and opened properly on the Vista PC. Moving the file back to the external hard drive caused it to open correctly from said external hard drive, but this only worked once, and never again after that.

Running system file checker found and corrected some errors, but this did nothing to resolve the issue. He ran Hijack this, but was unable to produce a text log file (may have been operator error, as he's never used it before, and I wasn't there to walk him through it). He did take screenshots of the log's results, however.

I'm not really sure what to make of this. Google searches have turned up others who've experienced similar issues, but none of those sources reports a resolution.

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users