Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hibernate and reboot?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 24 October 2004 - 01:53 PM

I'm at my wits end :thumbsup: with my laptop not coming out of hibernation correctly.
Scenarios, in the order from worse to least bad as I stop hibernation to do work:
1. Touchpad and mouse stuck. Can't even point to my name to login, nor to the Turn off icon. Power down is the only solution. So what's the point of hibernation?
2. One or both move, but clicking on my name or turn-off icon do nothing. Reboot.
3. Can login. Cannot do anything else, because left click does nothing or behaves as if it were right click. Wherever I click I get a dropdown. Reboot is the only solution. Plug/unplyg the mouse doesn;t work.
4. Identical to above, but happens after few successful activities such as opening Windows Explorer, picking a file to open, then it acts funny. Reboot.

Mouse is Kensington optical, has its own software, is up to date.
I see 2 drivers for mouse PS/2 and this optical with a wheel. I'm not 100% sure which belongs to whom, information looks confusing to me between Microsoft and Kensington.
I don't know the driver for the touchpad (Alps something) and the only thing I can do here is enable/disable the touchpad. I have it always enabled.

Recent reinstallation of driver did nothing. Someone at work suggested I try that.

System is Toshiba laptop, XPhome SP2, router, firewall, virus checker. What useful information, from where, and in what form, should I collect so diagnosis and help would be possible from someone on this site?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2004 - 06:21 PM

Personally I think hibernation has always been bad and would disable it if you I was you. I would then rely in the microsoft power management to control your laptop while its idle.

Disable hibernation in the Power Options properties in the control panel. You can also change the other power properties there as well.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2004 - 10:11 PM

Disable hibernation ...

Thanks :thumbsup: I will do just that. Now that I think of it, at the office we never use it.
I should have thought of doing just that. It does seem to be a bad feature. And the solution is so simple!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users