Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8GB USB Drive Only Reads as 3MB

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bLuxART

bLuxART

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:05 AM

Someone has given me a Verbatim 8GB USB drive that they found. They tried using it but got errors saying it was "locked" or something. I tried using it and although the case says 8GB, it only comes up as 3MB total space and 3MB free space. It's in FAT format and I tried reformatting it, but it still only gave me the option with 3MB of the total space. There are no files on the drive either. I went to the Volume Properties of the drive and it says there is a "Master Boot Record" partition style. I did some searching and that is apparently related to an OS Bios, so I'm assuming whoever had it before loaded an OS from it?

Is there any way that I can get the space back? Seeing as there are no visible files, I'm okay with completely wiping it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:09 AM

You could try kill disc http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm to wipe the drive then use Windows to format the drive.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 bLuxART

bLuxART
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:35 AM

You could try kill disc http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm to wipe the drive then use Windows to format the drive.

Thanks for the suggestion. I "killed" the drive, but nothing happened other than the 3MB not even being useful. All the space disappeared and it was still a FAT32 drive, but I guess it wasn't formatted. I formatted it to NTFS, but now the space is even less. There used to be 3MB free of total 3MB, but now its around 320KB free of 3MB. Still nothing on the drive.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:45 AM

I would try Gparted next. See if you can delete the partitions. We have a tutorial located here

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:56 PM

There might be a reason that someone gave you a drive that they found.
Might be defective.

I woldnt spend much time trying to revive it as those drives are fairly cheap.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

I've had a similar issue before and the drive ended up being damaged in some way, I assumed it was a short that had caused the problem because when I touched the flash drive it was so hot it burned my hand and I had to remove it with a towel. But the 4gig drive only showed up as 28mb but no other partitions found.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:10 PM

I agree with Eyesee the software is free so if it works you get a free USB drive if not its a learning experience.:dance:

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users