Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can ps3s get viruses

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 westsyde

westsyde

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

i downloaded a bunch of songs onto my ps3 from my computer from isohunt.com (using my mp3 to transfer songs) and since than my ps3 started freezing while i am scrolling through songs (which it never did until i downloaded songs on it)some of my songs only play 3/4 of the song then say currupted data so maybe that could be causing an error or problem to cause it to freeze. i do wipe the dust off the fan vents (it hasnt been cleaned inside tho) or is my ps3 infected if thats possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

The PlayStation 3 uses the Cell processor, which isn't the standard CPU everyone is familiar with. For the PS3 to get a virus, the virus would have to be written specifically for the PS3 which is based off of the CellOS, I believe. A Windows virus would not work, due to OS and CPU design, which is what most of the web has in terms of malware. In other words, it is possible for the PS3 to get a virus, just very unlikely.

The PS3 is very picky when it comes to formats, have you tried re-encoding the songs to eliminate the possibility of a codec incompatibility? How old is your PS3 and have you changed its hard drive?

3939.png

#3 westsyde

westsyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:12 PM

ok thank you very much for the information :thumbup2: i dont understand what you mean when it comes to en-coding and codec incompatibility. (im very computer illiterate lol)
my PS3 is about 2.5years to 3 years old and its only 80GB
i havent ever changed the hard drive in it before.
how long do they usually last?

Edited by westsyde, 01 April 2011 - 11:13 PM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

The codec is a computer program capable of encoding or decoding a data stream, in this case an audio file. Every piece of media data uses a codec, which encodes data for storage or decodes it for playback. Media data is encapsulated in a container file (Such as an MP3, Windows Media Audio, Apple Audio, etc.) and the codec decodes and plays back the media inside. Sometimes, the media playback device or program, in this case PS3, sees the container file and may not be able to decode the data within. This can happen if certain encoding settings are used, or the file is corrupted, or if there was an error in the encoding or copying operation.

Does the same media playback properly on a computer or MP3 player? Copy a song off of the PS3 and play back that same file on your computer to find out. The length of time your PS3's hard drive will last depends on the drive's age and how much you use it. For a desktop PC, a standard platter-based drive, which is what the PS3 uses, should last around five years.

3939.png

#5 westsyde

westsyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:29 PM

ok thank you very much for that information i will try copying it to mp3 then try playing it on the computer and i will let you know (probably tomorow ps3 is in use right now lol). can i use a USB storage device to back up everything on my PS3 (just incase) including game data saved?
im so paranoid it may crash someday and it would suck to have to start from scratch.
thank you:)

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:00 PM

You can use a USB device to backup individual game saves, so long as they aren't copy protected, which few are. You cannot backup copy protected videos you download from the PlayStation Network. You can backup all files on your PS3 using the system backup feature and a large enough USB drive. Also, if you are a PlayStation Plus member, like me, you can backup your game saves to Sony's servers online without needing to use USB drives.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users