Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 9100

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

Well it's time. my Dell Optiplex turned 5 this week. Warranty ran out last Thursday and I have heard a funny whirring from in side the case on occasion. I use this for my small business. It essentially takes the place of office staff. I do not mind buying more computer then I need with the hope that it will still be some what valid 5 years from now. I cannot afford to be without it (sad to say)
Computer that is ordered is a Dell XPS 9100,Intel i7-930, 8 gigs Ram, Raid 1 dual 1TB HD's
Windows 7 ultimate.Quickbooks 2011.Office 2010 Pro. Also getting Dell Data safe off site back up.
I was assure but the Dell sales rep that transferring QB 2006 data to QB 2011 would be no problem.I also need my customer files that are mostly word documents. I am having the dell tech come in to transfer files and other set-up tasks.

I know a lot of folks build their own systems and I respect that. I know I probably could have saved some money doing that but I just do not have the time or inclination. Plus I get too darn nervous when these things. Just want to go from one functioning system to the next with as little drama as possible.
General comments on the system are welcome, good or bad
Should I have any concerns with data transfer or getting this to play nice with existing printers and Fax??
I did buy the recover disc but it comes with no disc for Windows office. I don't much like that.Does Win 7 Ultimate allow me to make a 100% complete back-up disc set or do I need to get Ghost or some similar program??
Anything that I should add?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:03 AM

The new system you ordered is more then enough and will definitely serve you for 5 years or more. You should have a backup copy to yourself before the tech transfer it to the new computer just in case the transferring has problems to it. You should check with the Dell tech if the printers will be compatible with the new system. You are better of using Norton Ghost rather then the basic Windows back-up function.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:50 PM

Sounds like a system that will last a while.

As for a back up -- there is really no need. Your hard drives are set up in RAID 1 formation. This means that you have a copy of your hard drive being automatically made to a back up hard drive. If one drive fails, the other should be able to take over as if nothing ever happened.

Personally I never recommend that anyone should get Ultimate or Professional editions of windows. Unless you have a specific need for them -- such as running your own domain server in your house, or managing employee rights to data, it is really a waste of the extra money. Still, it should serve you well.

Additionally, you may want to look into "Open Office". For now you purchased an edition of Microsoft Office, which should work fine. Open Office serves a similar function, and saves to Microsoft document formats as well -- all with absolutely no cost to you. Just a thought if you decide, years from now, that you don't feel like upgrading your Microsoft Office.

Just my two cents on the matter.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:14 AM

windows ultimate or enterprise arnt really needed. They do have some nice features, some better security features such as data encryption and stuff like that, but not really needed.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:36 AM

Professional is more recommened for business.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

Hello to my BC friends
Thanks for the review and advice.
Regarding Win 7 Ultimate
When I purchased my Opitplex I was going to get XP Pro. The salesman talked me out of it saying that there were no needed advantages so I went with the home edition. I found out after getting it that the home edition did not have windows back-up. Pro had that. I figured this time to buy the best out there so hopefully all options possible will be available.
Regarding Open office
I have that on this Toughbook lap top.It's OK but it is slightly different. Maybe on a faster computer and with more time I could get use to it. One annoying thing it is doing on this lap top is being inconsistent with the spell check function. It worked at first but now it indicates that it is currently on and functioning but is checking nothing. Also I am concerned that if I started using Open Office and saving documents and someday went back to word that unanticipated comparability problems could occur.
Regarding Back-up
The Raid system should remove worries about a HD crash but fire , theft etc. are still conditions to guard against. The Dell off site Data safe will address these to a certain point. I asked the Dell Sales tech what is used for recovery for the MS Office preinstalled software. I was told that there is nothing. The recovery disc I am purchasing is for the operating system only. I guess they assume in the event of a reformat that you need to purchase a new edition of Office?? I will look to address this with Ghost or some type similar software but this is very annoying.
Regarding security
In a moment of weakness I went ahead and took the 3 year MacAfee deal that Dell offered. I had that on the Optiplex. McAfee did stop parts of a vundo infection I had several years ago but not all. I have read that the firewall at the default setting is poor but if set to the next level ( called "Standard") that it gives decent protection. My intention had been to install the paid version of Comodo Internet Security. Dell seems to push McAfee but also offers many other security products, but not Comodo.
Comodo seems like a good product. I have it on this laptop. If it encounters something it does not know it will sandbox the file and send it off for analysis before deciding if it is safe.
For some reason I do not see Comodo products mentioned much on BC and I don't know why. The listing of free firewalls here does not include the Comodo firewall.
I still may, at some point go with Comodo but I am still left wondering why it is not mentioned more.
Anyway, Thanks again. I look forward to any other comments
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:06 PM

I can see that. I myself, have windows 7 ultimate, not because I need it, but I wanted all the extra tools in case I were ever to need it. Ive played with some of the stuff like bit encryption (very nice by the way) but when it comes down to it, I have absolutly no need for the ultimate package. . .A better idea, would be to go here for a comprehensive feature comparison of the different versions, that way you can make sure your getting a version that both suits your needs, but yet your not paying for features you'll never use. As far as Comodo goes, I find their anti-virus somewhat lacking, however, their firewall is among the best windows based firewalls that I've experimented with, far better then both mcafee and norton. For my personal PC protection, I normally install the comodo firewall (not the anti virus) and Avast and malwarebytes. I run the avast and malwarebytes on a rotating schedule-avast one week, malwarebytes the next, simply because there is no single anti virus that will catch them all, and they all have slightly different databases, so by doing it this way, the two cover each others weak areas.

Edited by the_patriot11, 03 April 2011 - 07:09 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:12 AM

I run the avast and malwarebytes on a rotating schedule-avast one week, malwarebytes the next

So you use a different scanner every week to scan your computer?

>Michael 

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:05 PM

yes I do. no one antivirus has a complete set of definitions-and usually, they dont all have the same. The overlap helps a lot. I only have avast set up for active protection though, malwarebytes is strictly a manual run.

picard5.jpg

#10 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

Hi Patriot April 4, 2011
Ref. Comodo
I am curious about what you may view as their weakness. Have you tried it since they started including the new sandbox feature?
They had a video describing their philosophy as denying access to a file that was not recognized until they could determine itís safety as opposed to other makers security software that compares a file to a known list of bad or rouge agents.
( I hope I am describing this correctly)
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:55 PM

Yes, I like the sandbox feature, its very nice, so is the firewall. Ive just found their definition database isnt as extensive as I would like it to be. Like I said, no one anti-virus has a complete definition database, but comodos seems to catch far less then others like Avast, AVG, or malwarebytes. Which is why I pretty much only use the firewall and sandbox features of it, and don't mess with the anti-virus. Its been awhile since I have, so I imagine theyve improved it some since Ive last experimented with it, but theres no need for me to have anymore then the firewall for me right now.

picard5.jpg

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:36 PM

I am currently using the free Microsoft Security Essential as my antivirus and paid version of ZoneAlarm Pro which is serving as a good combo.

>Michael 

#13 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

Hi All April 16, 2011
Just thought I would tell how it went and my impression so far. To recap I use this for my small business. Motivation was not to get a fancy new computer but as a form of preventive maintenance. Old computer was 5 years old, OS was XP/SP2 and Quick Books was 2006 version. Now I have all new hardware and up to date software. Hopefully now I can relax and just use the system without worrying for a while
System:
Dell Studio XPS 9100
Intel Core i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80 GHZ 2.80
8 GB, 64 bit
Windows 7 Ultimate
I received the new computer last Monday and the Dell tech came Wednesday.( A nice Russian fellow) He did data transfer and installed Quick Books 2011. I could have done this myself but the essential files were transferred quickly and I had a functioning new computer when he left. I also thought that if something was not working correctly it would be apparent to him quickly rather them me thinking I was doing something wrong. I still needed to download MBAM, SiteAdvisor and other things but this was expected.

Things I like so far.

Amazingly fast speed.

23Ē monitor is nice.

( Excuse / requirement to clean my desk)

Knowledge that RAID 1 system is inside and working
( Tech said many people ask about having a RAID system but this was the first Dell that he installed that had one.)

Things I donít like

Keyboard, mouse, monitor, and Computer = Made in China ( Computer assembled in Mexico)

Bothers decision to Not write fax drivers for my perfectly good MFC-3240C fax machine. Basic print drivers were available from Windows but not fax drivers for Win 7 64 bit.

I use the Paint program on a regular basis. MS decided that everyone must really want them to mess with it and change location of functions. I have got it mostly figured out except the magnification. If they wanted to do something useful they could have included an incremental rotation function instead of just 4.

They say Win 7 Ultimate comes with XP Mode. It is not preinstalled but the license allows you to go to the MS site and download this. I did this but I really donít know how useful it will be. I think I could get the fax machine to work though it but the word and Quick Book documents will be in Win 7 so I donít think I can easily get them into the XP section for faxing. I guess the best solution is to replace this fax with a WIN 7 compatible machine. I do hate to lose easy access to my library of fax number though.

There is the expected learning curve to go through getting use to this machine but all in all I like it so far.
Thanks again for the responses I received.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta
P.S. I have seen a few references on the internet to an SP 1 for Win 7. Is this something that needs to be installed already?? Computer properties just list Windows 7 Ultimate. I see no reference to SP1

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:13 PM

Glad your liking it. If you have windows update to auto update (which it is by default) it will download service pack one for you automatically, I wouldnt worry to much about it, just make sure you install any recomended updates from microsoft.

picard5.jpg

#15 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:43 AM

Windows XP Mode is a really useful tool to have around when you trying to run old software. I recently installed it, so my uncle can use his old DOS database software's.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users