Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports Have suddenly stopped working...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MML

MML

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

I have a Compaq Presario CQ62-215DX, running Norton Internet Security and firewall through Windows 7. I sucessfully installed new Wireless LAN and Lightscribe system software several days ago, along with the Live Essentials, Realtek and Windows 7 Updates.

Everything was operating correctly yesterday, but when I booted up my computer today my wireless mouse refused to work. After trying a fix involving a USB stick, I realized that none of my USB ports work. The ports light up when I restart, until Windows 7 finishes logging in, and once it begins the drivers refuse to work. Is it because of the recent updates? Because I cleaned up my back-up copies? Any help will be apprecited!

Edited by MML, 31 March 2011 - 08:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lkegley9

lkegley9

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:06 AM

Have you tried disabling and re-enabling all of your USB controllers and ports in Device Manager?

If you don't know how to do get there...
Start menu > Right click on Computer > Manage > Device Manager

Moreover, to disable USB ports, go to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers button in the Device Manager. Right click each individual one and click disable. For each one. Then after each one is disabled, start from the top and do the same thing but click Enable this time. There are some dependencies in there sometimes that will disable more than one individual device, so be aware of that.

Edited by lkegley9, 01 April 2011 - 09:07 AM.

#3 MML

MML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:37 PM

It keeps saying it sees it, but it can't disable or enable it because there's another version in the computer (and it won't show that other version to disable it) :/

When I shut off the computer and flicked it back on, for some reason my virus protection has stopped working; the antivirus and antispyware buttons on my Norton are turned off and greyed out, so I can't turn them back on. IDK if it's all related?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

FWIW: Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsXP/UserTips/TroubleShooting/RemoveUnusedDriversandDevices.html

Louis

#5 MML

MML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:41 PM

Woah, worked like a charm! Thank you!!

#6 hamluis

hamluis