Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop suddenly won't connect wirelessly to network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jctan

jctan

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hi,

It used to work before, but suddenly laptop won't connect wirelessly to network.
Other computers can still connect wirelessly.
Nothing was changed on the router, modem, or laptop.

When I try to repair connection, it will keep trying to acquire a network address.
I tried winsockfix.exe, resetting using netsh winsock reset catalog, netsh int ip reset reset.log commands & rebooting, all to no avail.

Laptop can connect to the network if ethernet wire is plugged.
Laptop can still connect wirelessly to other networks.

Thanks for your help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

Do you have any errors in Device Manager, especially regarding wireless network adapter?
Did you try to reinstall its driver?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 jctan

jctan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

No errors in Device Manager. I didn't reinstall as I don't have the driver, but I'll try to update drivers from Lenovo. IMHO driver might not be the problem because the wireless works on other networks? Thanks.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:06 PM

because the wireless works on other networks

What networks would that be?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 MBakerNH

MBakerNH

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:26 PM

A couple thoughts - have you reset the router? I don't mean factory default, just power off/power on.

If you know how to locate the MAC address, see if the DHCP provider (usually the router) has that address as still leased. If so, you will need to release it and power cycle the router. I would leave it off for a minute or so.

If it turns out to be the router, make sure it's not overheating. Dustblast it, make sure it's not on a heating element, etc.

#6 jctan

jctan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:21 PM

Wireless capability still works on other SSIDs such as at home or one of my other workplace.
I don't remember the router being powered off/on after the issue. Ok I'll try this one out. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users