Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two commands, one icon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

I am troubleshooting a siituation for a customer and i am not sure of the corect syntax.

The problem is that there is this medical software install on a laptop at a doctor's office that creates ECG files for patients after their vitals are taken. The software is suppossed to import this patient data to a mapped drive which points to a server that is off site.

Periodically, these laptops will loose connection to these mapped drives. I have fully updated this XP laptop with the latest service packs, but every once in a while, the mapped drives are lost and the application fails and they loose this patient data.

I have a batch file that will recreate these mapped drives and what I would like to do is when they click the application to launch the software, it will first recreate the mapped drives and then launch the application.

Is it possible to do this with the existing icon for the medical software?

Here are the Properties of the medical software icon:

Target:"C:\Program Files\Midmark Diagnostics Group\IQiCv6.0\IQiCIf.exe" -go

Start IN: "C:\Program Files\Midmark Diagnostics Group\IQiCv6.0"

I would like to run a batch file first "nw.bat" and then the application above and use the same icon for the application.

Edited by SysTech Guy, 31 March 2011 - 03:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

Correct me if i am wrong, but couldnt you just add the command to start the program to the end of the batch file.
For example, i just tried out a simple batch containing the following :

net use p: \\fileserver\public
c:\"program files"\zune\zune.exe

When i ran the batch, it mapped my drive, then once that finished, it started the zune software. I would assume you could do this for any software.

give it a go adding the target to the end of the batch script. I think it would work.

-Tenz

#3 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

Yes, for any other type of workaround, I would do that, but there are 15 to 20 some odd nurses at this clinic and from experience, asking them to deviate from their normal routine is quite difficult. Asking them to click on a different icon, although is trivial I know, causes a big uproar at this clinic.

Although, as I think more about this, I should be able to switch icons for the batch file and use the IQIC (spirometry software) icon in place of it....didn't ocurr to me to do that until now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users