Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power adapter or Battery, I can'y tell which is bad.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:07 AM

I just received a used Dell D620. It worked fine out of the box, but after a couple hours I realized that I shouldn't be seeing the battery power meter on its desktop while it was plugged in (assuming its like my other notebooks).

The seller is sending me both a new power adapter and a new battery to resolve the problem.

My question is: how can I tell which piece was bad, or if both of them were bad?

The battery probably lasted at least 3 hours before I noticed it wasn't charging which made me think it was the power adapter that was bad. The power unit's light was VERY faint when it was plugged in.

The funny thing is that they said to keep both of the new pieces (as well as the old ones).

Edited by brian2009, 31 March 2011 - 11:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BeachBumLI

BeachBumLI

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

Sounds like good customer service to me! :thumbsup:

The best way to test whether it is the battery or the power supply is to remove the battery and see if it will boot up with just the power supply plugged in. If it will not turn on, you have a problem with your power adapter.

If you are able to run it off just the battery, then it is likely there is no issue with your battery.
Dell Inspiron 1520--Intel Core 2 Duo/1.5 GHz--2 GB RAM--230 GB HD--Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family--Windows XP--Avast! AV Free--Spybot S&D--Malwarebytes--Hijackthis--Chrome (primary browser) Firefox and IE (rarely used)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users