Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot burn or boot to disc: Toshiba Satellite M45

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Joombaga

Joombaga

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

On this laptop, a Toshiba Satellite M45 with XP Home SP3, I can read DVDs and CDs, but burns always fail.

I have tried the following:

• Burning using Nero and Imgburn
  • Removing all burning software and security software & reinstalling only Nero.
  • Removing all IDE chains and the drive itself from device manager and allowed Windows to reinstall the devices.
  • Checked Upper/Lower filters in registry. None found.
  • Replaced drive.
  • Attempted to boot to Ubuntu to try burning with brasero. The computer skips the cdrom during boot.
  • It also appears that this computer can't boot to usb.
  • Updating the BIOS. Still can't boot to CD or burn.

EDIT: It appears that the Imgburn failure was just a fluke; maybe bad media. I can burn in Imgburn without problem. I also found a workaround for Nero. The burn succeeds if I burn at Max speed instead of leaving it set to Auto.

I still haven't been able to boot from CD though.

Edited by Joombaga, 31 March 2011 - 04:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 StauntonComputer

StauntonComputer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:03 PM

I've made a ton of coasters with crappy media. Try and find one of these. MEDIA ID- TAIYOYUDEN, TYG01, TYG02, YUDEN they are made by Taiyo Yuden and are top quality!

Edited by hamluis, 02 April 2011 - 01:18 PM.
PM sent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users