Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opera vs Firefox

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

Well, it appears I learned a good lesson the hard way. Never upgrade a browser until making sure any add on or plug ins currently being used will carry over.
I've been using Firefox for a long time. I also use the latest version of Kaspersky Internet Security every year. I feel safer having KIS monitor my system.
Lost the ease of having the small virtual keyboard icon in the upper right corner of Firefox after moving to FF 4.0.

Are there any Opera users here? I was just wondering how different the two browsers really are and most importantly are there as many frequent "upgrades" with Opera as there are with Firefox?

I've got a lot of reading to do re: Opera + would really appreciate feedback. Oh, and what happens to my existing bookmarks if I add Opera to my computer? Can I run both Opera+Firefox?
Thanks
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:58 AM

Installing Opera will not have any effect on Fx, however you should be able to import your Fx bookmarks into Opera. Seems to me like Opera comes out with an upgrade, usually beta, much more often than Fx. I think if you install Opera you'll like it. It is very good browser. I have Opera, Firefox and Pale Moon installed, with Pale Moon being the default browser.

Yes you can run Opera and Firefox at the same time.

If you want to have Firefox 4.0 and still have 3.6 then install The Pale Moon Project. From a user stand point Pale Moon is identical to Firefox except it's a little faster.

Edited by FlannelBack, 31 March 2011 - 11:59 AM.

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:13 PM

Do you mean to tell me that Pale Moon is a Mozilla product?????? Why have I not heard of this before?
Looks as tho I have a lot of research ahead of me.
Which brings me to another question. What is the benefit/purpose of using multiple browsers? Should not one be enough????

How can I tell how often Opera comes out with upgrades then? You seem to think that happens more often than in Firefox.....hmmmm.
I just don't need a browser that is going to take away my comfort zone by not being compatible with any Kaspersky related.

Edited by honu1, 31 March 2011 - 01:17 PM.

#4 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

The source code for Pale Moon is the source code for Firefox(Mozilla) but the binary that you download and install is a Moonchild Productions product.

If you only have one browser and for some strange reason it decides not to work(been known to happen) and the only way to repair the problem is to, say log into BC here for a solution, how are you going to accomplish that if the only browser you have is broken?

Many times it helps to diagnose a problem if more than one browser is installed. Say all of a sudden Firefox starts acting up. If you have Opera installed, you can see if Opera has the same problem as Firefox. If it doesn't, then the problem is probably within Firefox. If Opera has the same problem as Firefox then the problem is probably not within either browser but someplace else in the system, the firewall for instance.

If you're using Firefox now and your OS is Windows then you should have two browsers already, IE and Firefox.

Opera will inform you when a stable release is available for installation. You don't have to upgrade it if you don't want to.

Opera is a powerful, fast and user friendly browser. If you find you don't like it you can always uninstall it. But you'll never know if you don't give it a try.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,575 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

Few of the many things I like about Opera
1. Can disable automatic updates. Opera informs that there's a new, stable, version. It's not pushed, unless you want it pushed.
2. Everything I need is built in. I do not have to go hunting for script blocking or ad blocking or various other addins or plugins and keep checking whether their source is legitimate. I found FF too confusing for me :(
3. Very easy to modify what I allow a site to do.
4. I love the speed dial and their newest tab grouping.
5. Configuration is easy to read and modify. Easier than FF and of course easier than anything in IE.

I keep IE on hand because one site I use have such bad, noncompliant, html code that only IE works and they refuse to make it compliant. And of course it must exist for Microsoft updates to work.
And, as indicated by FlannelBack, should Opera go down, IE is available. That never yet happened to me.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:39 PM

Few of the many things I like about Opera
1. Can disable automatic updates. Opera informs that there's a new, stable, version. It's not pushed, unless you want it pushed.
2. Everything I need is built in. I do not have to go hunting for script blocking or ad blocking or various other addins or plugins and keep checking whether their source is legitimate. I found FF too confusing for me :(
3. Very easy to modify what I allow a site to do.
4. I love the speed dial and their newest tab grouping.
5. Configuration is easy to read and modify. Easier than FF and of course easier than anything in IE.

I keep IE on hand because one site I use have such bad, noncompliant, html code that only IE works and they refuse to make it compliant. And of course it must exist for Microsoft updates to work.
And, as indicated by FlannelBack, should Opera go down, IE is available. That never yet happened to me.

+1

Everything I 'need' is built in but Opera does now support 'widgets' so I do have 3 add ons now. There is a difference between need and want. :wink:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

Okay,now I'm lost again. What in the world is a 'widget'????? And why would I need or use it? :whistle:

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,575 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

:)
Widget is something my MAC-computer friends love.
It's some sort of a little shortcut on your screen that, for instance, might tell you the weather if you're not able to look out the window, or it can tell you stock prices, your own IP, airline schedule, and tons of other stuff.

I do not use, nor like widgets. One reason is that as far as I could tell when I tried one, Opera needs to run for the widget to do anything. I see no reason to run Opera, nor any other browser, (nor any other application for that matter), when I do not need to use it for searching or being here, and similar. Well placed and managed bookmarks serve me well instead. I'm old-fashined. When I'm done doing something I close the application. I see no reason, ever, to be constantly hooked to the internet. Your taste may be different.

Widgets realy are cute little utilities if you like that sort of thing. They are user-written and can be downloaded from the Opera site. They are NOT an integral part of Opera. You do not have to have them. Ever. Don't panic.

Oh, few examples here
http://widgets.opera.com/
http://www.opera.com/widgets/

hmmm, I see in the second link above

Independent from the Browser

Widgets will work even if the Opera Web browser is not running.

so I guess what I tried two or so years back is now different :)

Edited by tos226, 31 March 2011 - 07:15 PM.

#9 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

Okay then,I'm thinking that I would like to give Opera a try. As far as I know,it doesn't seem to have any conflicts with Kaspersky Internet Security Suite.
It was recommended to also Add Secunia PSI + run that program on a weekly basis. Does running Secunia take the place of auto updates in Opera? I mean, when I do install Opera on my system, can I configure it to only update when I tell it to?

As it is,with FireFox, I am updating very frequently+just trusting Mozilla with all the security issues+fixes.
I realize I will have to keep Firefox updated,even tho I may not be using it as much.After all, I don't know how comfortable I'll be with Opera,but I'm willing to give it a try.

Any Opera users out there,please let me know why you like it as a browser :clapping:
Thanks
honu1

#10 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,575 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:13 AM

Auto updates in Opera is simply a setting whether you want Opera to update itself, or whether you want to decide yourself when to update the Opera application. Nothing else.

In KIS, you will likely need to permit Opera to run and connect to the web. Same as you now do for FF.

Secunia PSI checks whether you have up to date patches to all applications.
If Opera is out of date, or if any application is out of date, or if security issues have been identified, it tells you on the screen.
You can then proceed to download and install the patches or new versions.

PSI has NOTHING to do with Firefox or Opera or IE browsers. And Firefox is NOT managing your updates.
Browsers just display the information that PSI sends, since when you run PSI, their servers see what browser you use.
So if your default browser is IE, IE will open. If it's Opera, then Opera will open. If it's Firefox, Firefox opens.

If I recall correctly, in Opera you will need to permit java applets and possibly javascripts for PSI to run, since default installation has those blocked because they're often unsafe.

Take a look at some tutorials
http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/

#11 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:00 PM

Okay then, I've spent hours reading thru the Opera tutorials + my head is swimming!
Seems like Opera is a lot more work than Firefox. It would appear I would have to go into the advanced settings to change things I already don't care for that are set by default.
I just don't know if it's worth all the hassle for me. I just got frustrated with Firefox for dropping some things I want to have to keep me safe.

The 2 things I really have a problem with in my comfort zone is Opera Unite and Bit Torrent. To me it seems this makes my system available/open to other Opera users? At this point I can't tell if these are items I can disable or not.

With Firefox I have the ability to clear history any time I want,not just when closing the browser. I really need more input on these 2 concerns before I download Opera.

I appreciate some good responses,please :busy:
honu1

#12 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,575 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:34 PM

Opera Unite is totally optional. And it does open your system to the users whom you gave the password to get in, and only to the folders you setup for those users to look at.
Just shut it off. This was the only thing that required hitting advanced for me :) when you do, click show all, then use Find for: unite, web server, and SSDP and/or UpNp. Click'm off, you're done. Before shutting off, I did run Unite with two friends. It used one port. It was totally safe. It didn't cause any problems.

Also shut off SSDP and uPnP in Windows services while you're at it.
Bit torrent is totally optional. Remember, browsers are written for all users, so they do have to support things you and I may not like.

You can clear history, cookies, forms etc any time you want. No issues at all. Tools > delete private data, then click on what you want to kill.

I'm not in the business of selling Opera. You asked few things. We answered. It is up to you to decide what's more efficient, convenient, likeable to YOU.

Oh, and reading tutorials and discovering features of ANY application usually is overwhelming. I hear you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users