Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cannot access any programs

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Kristina2013

Kristina2013

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:13 AM

Last night I received this pop up saying that my computer was infected and that I needed to buy this "antivirus" to stop the infection. I knew it was a virus in itself telling me that. I think it posed as XP Security 2011 or something like that. I've since tried just about everything. I have AVG downloaded onto my computer, but the virus wouldn't allow me to access it. I was told to enter safe mode and download Malwarebytes'. I did that, but the virus wouldn't allow me to access that either. I double click on it and the option to run comes up. I click that and a pop up window comes telling me that there was an error and it wasn't able to access the program. I read that Rkill could help with that, so I installed it and still the virus wouldn't allow me to open it. I checked my other programs, various games on my computer, and they won't open either. The only thing I'm able to access is Firefox, and even then it brings up this Open With window and I have to click open with Firefox... to open Firefox. I tried restoring my computer, but the only restore point available was last night after I was already infected. I don't know if this is the virus' doing or not. I was told to go into task manager, click the processes tab, and see if any of the processes running were the virus. I checked every single one and they were all just system operations. As is it doesn't even appear as if I have a virus. So long as you don't try to access any programs, everything looks normal. The virus' icon is no longer in my tray bar, I'm not getting any pop ups, and I'm able to access we pages again without getting an error message constantly saying that the page is unsafe. Clearly it isn't gone though. I'm close to just wiping my computer all together, although that would mean losing an entire year and a half's worth of pictures, music, and custom content. So i would rather not go that route. But I can't just leave things as is. I'm going away soon and I'd rather not leave my computer with the virus still in it. Help is greatly appreciated! I'm in way over my head here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users