Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Ol' Facebook!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 moosiebee

moosiebee

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:03 PM

I am using Windows 7.

For several weeks now, I've tried to get an answer from Facebook regarding my login problem but the 500 million user queue is a long wait.

Out of the blue, Facebook told me that my login info was incorrect. I don't know why. I tried to reset the password. Long story short, after many, many attempts, I've managed to create a password that has been accepted. BUT, each time i try to login, I am sent back to the login page. It doesn't say that my info has been entered incorrectly, I just get returned back to the login page. This happens only for Facebook. Other sites are fine.

I was advised by a computer geek (term of endearment :P ) that perhaps it was a redirecting problem. He suggested downloading Hijack This to repair any errors. I used the program that was on his USB stick at his office. I decided to download it myself. It won't download and run properly so I can't continue here at home.

Anyhoo, back to the Facebook login problem. Any ideas on what could be happening with that site?

Thanks very much.

Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum, since you mention the possibility of malware issues. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:34 AM

moosiebee, I recently myself had an awful time with facebook. It had my account disabled for some reason but it did get fixed. I still have no idea what happened. But maybe there are a couple things you can try.

I would like to say upfront that if you use HijackThis I seriously hope you know what is relevant to your system to operate properly because that program can mess things up badly if not used carefully. Just sayin'.

Anyway, what browser do you use? It might help to clear cache, temporary folders and cookies.

Also make sure you have the latest adobe flash player installed. Try this link to see what version you have http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 moosiebee

moosiebee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:48 AM

Thanks Pandy.

I'm using IE 9. I routinely clear the cache, temp folders and cookies and I upgraded to the most recent adobe flash player a few days ago. None have helped with this login issue.

I'm going to do a System Restore to repair any damage I may have done using Hijack This. Not sure if it will work but here goes.

Did you ever get a answer from Facebook on how to get back on or did you work it through yourself? So frustrating not being able to get a direct answer from them.

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:31 AM

No I never tried to gt a hold of them. Do you feel you are having any malware issues?

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

I am using Windows 7.

For several weeks now, I've tried to get an answer from Facebook regarding my login problem but the 500 million user queue is a long wait.

Out of the blue, Facebook told me that my login info was incorrect. I don't know why. I tried to reset the password. Long story short, after many, many attempts, I've managed to create a password that has been accepted. BUT, each time i try to login, I am sent back to the login page. It doesn't say that my info has been entered incorrectly, I just get returned back to the login page. This happens only for Facebook. Other sites are fine.

I was advised by a computer geek (term of endearment :P ) that perhaps it was a redirecting problem. He suggested downloading Hijack This to repair any errors. I used the program that was on his USB stick at his office. I decided to download it myself. It won't download and run properly so I can't continue here at home.

Anyhoo, back to the Facebook login problem. Any ideas on what could be happening with that site?

Thanks very much.

Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum, since you mention the possibility of malware issues. ~ Animal

I do have some information what is going on with that site and I have another subject here which contains links to what I found that might answer some of your questions. I didn't want to post them here again because they weren't that well-received initially so if you want you can just see my other stuff as it does apply to your situation it seems to me. Anyway, I experienced the same problem. The most frustrating thing to me was having no recourse (way to reach them) but also that whoever I spoke to or wrote to insisted that probably someone tried to hack my account and it is now clear to me as it was then that no one hacked my account. If facebook had given me a means to contact them I could have easily explained that. So it was all unnecessary.

I leave this here just as a confirmation that nothing you did may have caused this. Facebook has its reasons for wanting information that is private. It never hurts to remember that. After all, they aren't in the business just because they are nice people. They make money off of things we do and advertisers.

While I have no definitive answer for you, I think it is relative and has some observations worth thinking about. Whether you ascribe to them or not, hopefully you will have a chance to decide for yourself under Freedom of Information.

Edited by kcsummer, 01 April 2011 - 09:03 PM.

#6 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

No I never tried to gt a hold of them. Do you feel you are having any malware issues?

You see, I think my topic is relevant because I KNOW FOR CERTAIN that what happened to me on Facebook had nothing to do with Malware and so if you are going down that road you may be wasting your time.

I was trying to save you some trouble. Facebook has come under scrutiny big time for its ulterior motives that it does stuff.

I just wanted to remind you and tell you that its entirely possible in fact likely that this is something done by Facebook. No one wanted to hear me the first time and it seems they still don't because I left an earlier note that was removed as this one probably will be too.

So much for free exchange of information. I did not post here to be a nuisance I posted because I believe its relevant.

#7 moosiebee

moosiebee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:06 AM

I came across a new cliche.

I tried getting on Facebook using my husbands' laptop here at home with the same result. When I attempted to login, I was sent back to the login page. Same problem as my laptop.

I went down to the public library and tried to login own their computers and BINGO, I'm in!!!!

So now my question is....what is going on with the computers at home? Any ideas?

#8 moosiebee

moosiebee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:10 AM

Perhaps I should be asking this question in a different forum. If so, which one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users