Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia GTX 460 Superclocked High Temps

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 soulshard

soulshard

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:29 PM

Hey everyone. i am using an nvidia gtx 460 superclocked edition graphics card. I have never had any problems before with this with any other games ever. But i just got crysis 2. everything is fine in singleplayer, then i jump into multiplayer, and after about 20 min i start getting ridiculous chop. I searched for fixes but it seems as if no one else is really experiencing this.

so i decided i would check my temps. my graphics card is reaching a wopping 88 degrees celcius after just 10 min of playing. however battlefield bad company 2 is getting into the mid 80s as well and no lag. i have read a lot that this card is supposed to never really go above 70c under load. i have even upped the fan speed to 55 percent and dusted out my pc and that made little to no difference. (there was very little dust to begin with) i am wondering if this is normal (which i am pretty sure it is not) or if i am doing something wrong or what. the thing is running at stock settings other than the fan speed and there is a 120 mm fan sitting right on top of it. my ambient temps are mid 60s farenheit

thanks guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:06 PM

I use Riva Tuner to control the temps of my GTX 275, you can create fan profiles so that the speed of the fan will increase as the card gets hotter, instead of just cranking the fan speed up and decreasing the lifespan on your video card's fan. There is a nice, easy to follow guide on YouTube that someone has created; if you follow the steps you should be up and running in no time. Below are links for Riva Tuner download and the guide for setting it up:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=163&file=4&evp=b0d1360d4d6f6dc2017ceaf2b4e67ad7

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:48 PM

Likely temperature is not the problem. Many times stuttering/lag is caused by insufficient memory or too many background processes using the mem/cpu. Any hard drive light activity while the problem occurs?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:59 PM

well i guess i should give u my specs before we go any further

intel i7 950 OC to 3.6 Ghz at 2.16 vcore
gigabyte x58a-ud3r
6 gigs a-data ram
1 tb hard drive
windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
750 watt corsair psu
nvidia evga gtx 460 superclocked

background processes are not the problem and nor is hard drive clutter/viruses. this thing is clean as a whistle. and i go into bfbc2 immediately after shutting down crysis and get no problems whatsoever lag wise. still hi temps averaging in mid 80s tho.

#5 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:13 AM

i guess main thing i wana know is, is this safe? i mean i looked ran furmark and maxed out at 87c. wen i looked at other recent results for my card, almost no one was going over 80c and all of their cards were waaayyy overclocked.

#6 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:12 AM

well i just got off the phone with a rep from EVGA and he said that 87 degrees c is normal for my card (gtx 460 superclocked) which i found strange because everyone on newegg and everywhere else i have read says they never see above 80 degrees. so idk. can anyone else post their experiences with this card?

#7 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

An overheating GPU can be a major cause of video lag in games, my GTX 275 would reach temps of 80+ degrees Celsius before I set up riva tuner and when it was that hot I would get all kinds of crazy lag, and strange artifacts on the screen. Regardless of what the rep from EVGA said, 88 degrees C = about 190 degrees F, thats getting close to boiling water, does that sound like normal safe operating temperature? Now that riva tuner is set up my idle GPU temps are around 55 C, and while playing BFBC2 they'll be right around 60-65 C.

Edited by Dmacf10, 03 April 2011 - 10:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users