Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Cables? Which One To Use

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ConsiderThis


  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 07:53 PM

I want to get a cable so I can use the Transfer Wizard to put stuff from my old computer onto my new computer...

Does the cable have to be CAT 5 or could it be a CAT 6?

Does the description of the cable need to specify "crossover"?

And if I get a long enough one, can I use it to connect my computer so I can use them in different rooms without carting them around???????
Your fingernails reflect your health --
Learn what warning signs to look for --
Karen Kline

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 Rimmer


  • Members
  • 2,159 posts
  • Location:near Sydney, Australia
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:31 PM

I assume you are talking about linking the PCs using their ethernet network ports? If so then a Cat5 or better a Cat5e cable would be fine. Cat6 would be overkill but it will work fine - you only need Cat6 if you want to run Gigabit ethernet.

You are correct in thinking to link two PCs together you will need a cross-over cable. You can have the cable up to 90+metres long so joining two computers in different rooms should not be a problem BUT you are unlikely to find a crossover cable that long - you would need to get it custom made by which time things are getting a little pricey. It's probably cheaper to buy a small Hub or Switch which will allow you to use standard patch cables to link the two PC's (PC1 - switch - PC2). That will also allow you to connect another device to your network in future.

How do you connect to the internet at the moment? Many broadband/DSL plans come with a router that has a small switch built-in. If you are thinking of putting on DSL soon you might want to do this at the same time and save yourself the price of a switch - just a thought.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 acklan


    Bleepin' cat's meow

  • Members
  • 8,529 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Baton Rouge, La.
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:10 AM

Hi and welcome to BC.
If you purchase a router with a print server in it you can share the printer without having to leave both computers on. I know you did not ask, but the printer is often over looked when putting a LAN together. Plus a router is a little less painful to configure since all routers use DHCP. That just means they automaticily configure the computers on the LAN for you. I listed a couple of links below. The router with the wireless features I recommend for later in case you add a computer that has WiFi or just do not want to deal with the wires.

Router wired & wireless 802.11g

Router w\printer server

I know it's more than you asked for, but I thought you would like the options.

Happy Holidays.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users