Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Putting an Image on new "C" Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 judyjht

judyjht

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

I have made an IMAGE of my old "C" drive on my desktop. I have a new drive that I bought and loaded it up but now want to replace that one with this new IMAGE that I just made. I think I know how to do it but I am unsure if I need to erase everything off the new one before I put the NEW IMAGE on or will it just overwrite it anyway? I was working with AustrAlien but he is not available right now to walk me through it.

XP Professional and I made the Backup Image with Acronis True Image Home. This is what I have written down drom the last time:

RESTORE IMAGE TO PC FROM SEAGATE BACKUP:
Acronis CD Boot Disk Safe Mode (Wired Mouse)
Select Desktop backup on Seagate - Next
Restore Disks & Partitions - Next
Disk 1 (top box) - Next
No, I do not - Next
Validate Backup NO
PROCEED will take a long time!

I was originally going to make a Clone this time but sort of got confused so I just made the Image since I knew how to do that one.
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

I'm not 100% certain I understand what you want to do, but let me try to answer what I can. If you "restore" an image to a specific drive or partition, whatever is already on that drive or partition will be overwritten by the image. Is that what you are asking?

#3 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:03 AM

Yes - thanks so much. I was afraid to pull the trigger!! I think you followed my saga with AustrAlien a month or so ago. I bought a new larger drive and put the 1st image on it. Then we (me & AustrAlien) hooked up the old drive again to do a few things to it - then after that we were going to make a 2nd Image and replace the 1st image. It has now been over a month so I wanted the 2nd image put on the new drive so it will be completely up to date and have the larger drive. Now, I think I can do it. I know it sounds very confusing but, believe it or not, I understand it!

Thanks for the help. I'll give the restore a shot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users