Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GASPING COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SEAJACK

SEAJACK

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

Okay I am going to go into Anal Detail...
Got some nasty virus or something and had to reinstall Windows XP from my Backup Disks from the P.C. I bought in 2005.

Here are the Symptoms:

P.C. is running Unbelievably Slow.
When I get on the internet I can usually get on the first sight but if I hit a link from that sight I get "INTERNET EXPLORER CANNOT DISPLAY THE WEBPAGE" and my browsing is more or less done.

Here is it what I can share that might help.

I am using the free version of Norton that came with my 2005 PC purchase. It seems to have restarted the 3 month trial.

I have down loaded all of the Windows Service Packs.

I am a computer idiot.

Hope You can Help also...

I do not have an Internet Provider I use my Cell Phone Modem.

I do not know what you currently have for an email. But get back to me at Removed to protect from spambots. ~ OB I am currently using a Laptop Loaner to get thru to you because my home P.C. Kept giving me the error message above.

EDIT: Removed email address, protection from spambot ~ Hamluis.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 30 March 2011 - 09:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

I am using the free version of Norton that came with my 2005 PC purchase. It seems to have restarted the 3 month trial.

Uninstall the very outdated version of Norton. Install another antivirus and firewall.

It's possible that Norton could be the culprit. Uninstalling it is the only way to find out.

Before uninstalling, turn on Windows firewall.

Uninstall Norton, reboot, the use the Norton Removal Tool found here.

Install another suite or stand-alone antivirus and firewall.

A list of free applications can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic366982.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users