Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to make a DVD backup disc

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Richie Cat

Richie Cat

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

Hi,
I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I went into accessories, systems tools, back up status and configuration. I made my back up but don't see/how to install it to a DVD. Any advice with this?
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

Take a look here: http://www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-backup-your-data

Specifically the portion that says:

In the Back Up Files window you will have to select where to save your backup. You can select a partition from your hard disk, a CD, a DVD or a shared folder from your network. Select the location you prefer and click on

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Richie Cat

Richie Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:52 AM

Take a look here: http://www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-backup-your-data

Specifically the portion that says:

In the Back Up Files window you will have to select where to save your backup. You can select a partition from your hard disk, a CD, a DVD or a shared folder from your network. Select the location you prefer and click on

This is what I found in Vista for beginners: NOTE: Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore is not included in Windows Vista Home Basic or Windows Vista Home Premium.

I have Vista Home Premium. On the backup status screen there is an option that says "Change backup settings" When I open this I can sellect my "E" drive for a DVD. Will down loading to this save my E-Mail, pictures, desktop, ect.? When I made my first backup it was installed in my "D" drive. This is the only thing I'm allowed to check off if I want to make a DVD. It also doesn't say how many disc's I'll need to use.

Edited by Richie Cat, 31 March 2011 - 05:02 AM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:24 PM

First of all your 'D' drive is likely your restore partition and should not be used for making backups. Secondly I do not use Vista and have never been exposed to it so I'm unfamilar with the OS.

Hopefully someone with more Vista experience can assist you further with your back up instructions.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Richie Cat

Richie Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for your reply. I hope someone else does chime in to answer my questions. Thanks for your help.

#6 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

Hi Richie Cat,

I have Vista Home Premium. Never had any luck with trying to do backup to DVD's. It would write the first disc OK, then fail when it came time to swap to the second disk. What I did to 'fix' the issue was buy an external USB hard drive. Works like a charm now. I basically just use it for backups. Plug it in, do the backup, 'safely remove' it, unplug it, put it away in a safe place until the next time I want to do a backup.

Oh, Backup/Restore also has to be 'run as administrator' or it will fail.

Let us know if you still have questions or need more step by step advice on how to use the Backup and Restore Center.

#7 Richie Cat

Richie Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:27 AM

Thanks for your reply Bill.
Why I'm trying to do this is because I'm showing problems with slow boot times (starting and shut down). Also loading a page at times can lock and I'll use f5 to refresh. I have a Gateway GT5464 and was informed by the manufacturer to use my restore DVD to see if it corrects the problem. I want to save all my personal settings so when I do use the disc I don't lose my stuff.

#8 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:27 AM

In case you didn't have it, click here to go to the Gateway web page for your computer.

A back up is always a good idea and is highly encouraged. :thumbup2:

A disk image (complete copy of everything on your hard drive) is also a good idea, but takes another drive of equal or greater size than the original one. I see on your system specs that you might have a Seagate drive. If so, their site has software (DiscWizard) available for free download to do this (as well as SeaTools to test your drive)

Like I said, I never had any luck getting the Vista backup utility to work with DVD's, and finally just gave up on it. That doesn't mean others haven't had luck with it, just that I never did. The backup to external drive works for me with no problems. A second internal drive (D: is probably a recovery partition, don't try to back up there), or a backup to online storage somewhere on the net are options too.

This won't really help with your settings and such, but you should be able to save a copy of any personal files to DVD disc by using Windows Explorer. If you need help with this, I can give more detailed instructions.

As for slow boot times, you might want to have a look at the BC guidance here. Pay particular attention to Steps 5, 6 and 7.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,675 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for your reply Bill.
Why I'm trying to do this is because I'm showing problems with slow boot times (starting and shut down). Also loading a page at times can lock and I'll use f5 to refresh. I have a Gateway GT5464 and was informed by the manufacturer to use my restore DVD to see if it corrects the problem. I want to save all my personal settings so when I do use the disc I don't lose my stuff.

Before restoring your system we can try to identify the problems causing the slow boot and shut down issues. It's up to you. As for not "losing your stuff", you don't need a backup program - just copy your critical data to cd or an external drive yourself.

#10 Richie Cat

Richie Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

OK I want to learn how to do this (As for not "losing your stuff", you don't need a backup program - just copy your critical data to cd or an external drive yourself.) It's starting to get harder for me to start up and connect to IE. Connecting to a page is getting a lot slower too. One thing I did notice is when I shut off and disconnect my power supply to computer and press the power button there is no surplus power pop sound from the PC or out of the speakers. I've done steps 5.6 and 7 and have gone onto safe mode and did a debug and check windows memory, both are OK. Even in safe mode it's slow to load. I ran a system repair and it said it couldn't repair anything. It's looking like I have a part in my conputer that has gone bad. I don't have my Seagate hard drive no more. I changed that about a year ago, it was making a lot of noise(chattering). I have no problem with installing new parts if need be. I have installed the maximum Ram allowed for my system also.I now have a SATA WD Caviar Blue hard drive. I still have my Seagate and piggybacked to my other hard drive with the extra lead in the PC. Nothing changed with load time. The only thing I did see was that usage my D drive became larger. From 4gb to 5.5 gb. After disconnecting the Seagate my usage is still 5.5 gb.

Edited by Richie Cat, 02 April 2011 - 03:05 PM.

#11 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

OK I want to learn how to do this (As for not "losing your stuff", you don't need a backup program - just copy your critical data to cd or an external drive yourself.)

There are so many ways to accomplish this. Try here for a set of instructions using Windows Explorer. Let us know how you come out.

I now have a SATA WD Caviar Blue hard drive.

You're still in luck if you want free imaging software. Western Digital makes Acronis True Image WD Edition Software available here.

Allan or some of the others here can guide you through more advanced system troubleshooting. They're more experienced and better at it than I am.

#12 Richie Cat

Richie Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:35 AM

I'm going in circles with this: Acronis True Image WD Edition Software. I get an error code #1620 when I try to download it. I'm going to call Western Digital and talk to them about it. I might have lost or misplaced one of my files while trying to learn how to move my files so as I can burn them to a CD.

#13 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

Hmmmm.... frustrating to say the least. There are plenty of other imaging software packages out there for free.

Have a look at this BC tutorial on using DriveImageXML.

Many of these image, or clone, packages use a variation of the Linux operating system to create a stand alone 'Live' disc. They don't rely on Windows at all, which can be a good thing if your Windows OS is misbehaving.

Personally, I have used Clonezilla Live, and found it relatively easy to use. I have also read good things about Macrium Reflect and EASEUS Home written by other members of BC. There are others out there as well.

Have you tried another web browser, other than IE? Firefox or Chrome or Opera may help.

#14 Richie Cat

Richie Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:15 AM

Finally got the WD software to load. Called WD and basically they said to use this with a backup external hard drive. I'm now starting to get a lot of "white out" screens saying IE is not responding. Looks like I'm going to throw in the towel and bring it to Staples for a diagnostic checkup.

#15 Richie Cat

Richie Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

Just as an update. Got my PC back from Staples and they said they found nothing wrong. No hardware/software issues, no viruses etc. They did their diagnostic scan and their PC tune up. System is working fine. I do have a question about Disc clean up but I think I should start a new topic about it. Thanks for everybody's help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users