Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendations on tablet pc's?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Barefoot2

Barefoot2

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:05 PM

I am considering purchasing a tablet pc for school (and also e-book reading). My first reason is that I'd like to get e-book versions of textbooks, but don't want to have to read them on my laptop or on my Nook (way too small, would like page formats to be similar to the physical/paper format). Second, I would like the pen/stylus function to write notes (I think?). And last, I still have some books in e format that do not read well on my nook, and think the tablet would be a good option.

I am not sure I can justify the expenditure, so price will be a factor in which, and whether I end up getting one.

Do any of you recommend one, or have advice on this. I think that if there is a decent amount of savings in textbooks between the printed and the e-book, it will pay for itself, but I am not sure.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:47 PM

I'll say that tablets do have a big advantage over eReaders because you can have competing reader stores on your device. On the otherhand reading on a tablet screen is about the same as a lcd screen while eReaders have better interfaces for lots of reading.

Cost of ebooks vs print books still hasn't evened out, however publishers have been going out of their way to try and prevent a market for secondhand ebooks. So I'd recommend looking at second hand text book prices when you're doing your cost anaylsis. I think the latest consumer report did a look at tablets.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

You're talking about a Windows table PCs? I've some experience with Windows tablet PCs, and also with iPad and e-readers.

The tablet PCs I used required a stylus, it didn't work using just my fingers. So I guess that you would need to use the stylus to flip pages when reading an e-book, which I would find cumbersome. With touch enabled e-readers (or iPad), you can flip pages by swiping your finger. On e-readers without touch, you have special buttons to flip pages.
I've not seen tablet PCs with dedicated buttons for page flipping.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:03 PM

I just stumbled on this old thread, so I thought I'll post my impressions where some decent information can be found.

Google, google, google something like in advanced search enter the tablet of insterest, then enter the site from the short list below

I found this site more than helpful, well organized and well written
http://www.tabletpcreview.com

This one is also good, though not as clean to navigate through
http://www.engadget.com

Both sites may not have it in their latest list on the first page, but the advanced search method works well to find what you're after.

Re taking notes: Samsung Galaxy I saw at Staples has some sort of of a notepad application to which you can write text with the special stylus. I doubt it's useful for taking notes in class. Might be ok for a grocery shopping list.

#5 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

If you get a tablet, decide if you want a resistive touch (using a fingernail or stylus) or capacitive (use of fingertip) screen. Also if you go for a capacitive screen, consider multi-touch, meaning you can zoom in and out with two fingers (like I've seen on some iPad commercials).

My experience has been with Android tablets. I've had a couple of old ones with Android 1.6, a couple of newer ones with Android 2.2/2.3, and now one with Android 3.2 (it was 3.0 when I bought it, and has been upgraded twice). Plus two different Android phones. I love them all. But if I was buying now I'd wait a few weeks and go for an Android 4 model, which will start coming out next month.

There are note apps, reader apps, planners, they play movies and music, have games, many can play flash, etc. Most have bluetooth, many have 3G capability, and all I've ever seen had wifi. Basically most anything you would need for a mobile computing device.

But if you plan on taking notes, I'd get an external keyboard. There are keyboard/case combinations that don't cost that much. Just make sure you get one that will work for you (i.e. if you get a bluetooth keyboard, you have to have a tablet with bluetooth; but there are many that will work with bluetooth, and many more that work with a USB cable plugged into the tablet; also making sure that a 7" case is acquired for a 7" tablet, or a 10" case for a 10" tablet). I have 7" tablets only (I think the others are too big) and have two different keyboard/case combinations that I truly love.

Sorry, can't compare with the other sorts of tablets since I've only seen iPads on display, never in anybody's hands, and I've only seen Windows-based models for sale on Craig's List, not in stores or in use.

#6 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

Since keyboard was mentioned for note taking the ASUS Transformer might be worth looking at, its a tablet that converts to a laptop by docking it with its keyboard.

#7 SueMcK

SueMcK

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:20 AM

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P1000, which includes 3G, and a Samsung Keyboard for if I do a lot of typing. This tab fits in my bag, goes in a holder my husband made for me for my car so that I can use Google Maps as a GPS, includes diary, music ( attached to my player in the car), can zoom, take photos, video, and I use many android programs, most daily. I wouldn't be without it!

#8 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

My problem with the Kindle Fire is your web browsing is through Amazon, and to be honest it is far from the first $200 tablet, most of them just haven't been as advertised (including from respectable companies). If you're willing to go up to $300 there is a decent selection of tablet options that are hobbled by the framework of an ereader if you want to do more than just view media.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users