Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 95

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JFlats1

JFlats1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:20 PM

Yes, I did say Windows 95 ...

We have an older Compaq running Windows 95 that I would like to use with HP all-in-one printer that requires at least Windows 98 (plus USB connection, but that's another story ...)

My questions: What OS should I get - Win 98; Win 98SE; Win ME? How about OEM version? Are these available from retail outlets or only from Internet sources (e.g., auction sites like ebay)?

Am I even asking the right question? The older PC has an inkjet printer - both work adequately for our purposes, basically providing email access for guests. Is it even worth spending money to upgrade from Win 95?

Thanks for any assistance or answers. This is my first post to the bleepingcomputer.

:thumbsup: By the way, I avoid the Compaq, preferring to speed along the net with my Sony VAIO on Win XP 2000.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:36 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer! Always good to see new faces.

As for the operating system you should upgrade to, the answer is emphatically Windows 98 SE. Second edition only came OEM i believe, but if you can get your hands on a copy that is definitely your best choice.

ME is just horrible and should never have been created.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users