Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Eee PC ASUS Seashell- Netbook

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beth102

Beth102

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:02 AM

I'm trying to make recovery disks for the Eee pc ASUS netbook does not come with disks (Windows 7 Starter)...and it has no drive...I have a usb cd/dvd drive I can attach to it. Instructions are you can make a recovery...not a disk but back up system files to a USB stick over 16 gig which means 32 gig which is expensive. I'd like to somehow make an image I can burn to a DVD and don't know if this is possible. Instructions are sparse. Eee Asus Netbook, Seashell 10.1

Here's what it says

1. Fress F9 during bootup

2. Select the language you use

3. Connect a USB storage device to your Eee PC and click BACKUP in the Recovery System dialog box to start the recovery and back up
I never got to a recovery system dialog box....It brings me to BOOT MANAGER. I'm afraid and don't want to mess the machine but I need to back up the recovery. You can restore the original files by hitting F9 for recovery but if hard drive goes that will not work.

Now instructions say to do the first 2 steps, press F9 during bootup, select language. If I was going to use the system recovery to recover the system it says to DISABLE BOOT BOOSTER in BIOS. Is this what I have to do to make the system recovery backup? (Instructions say to do first 2 steps but the siable boot booster in BIOS is before these 2 steps.

Also, I want to use a DVD burner and DVD...I do not have a USB flash storage because it needs to be larger than 16 gig...but instructions don't cover anything about burning DVD.

I have been perusing forums looking for how to do this. Many people are having problems trying to figure out how to do this with the Eee pc Asus...mine is the Seashell 10.1 (that's the screen size)

They really should include the backup disk with the machine...or back up stick, whatever.

Is anybody familiar with this machine? If anybody has this machine please let me know how to make a backup. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hwk04

hwk04

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:54 AM

Somewhat older topic but:
I've got the same netbook, only I added Ubuntu (by deleting the D partition, and then booting and installing Ubuntu 11.10 from USB. Ubuntu auto-installs on the empty space and you also automatically get a dualboot screen on startup where you can select what to boot into).

I'm now backing up everything with Clonezilla (which backs-up EVERYTHING instead of just some windows files. Read: I once relied on the Windows backup and couldn't restore a thing. because : It sucks.)

Put Clonezilla live (i468) on USB with Tuxboot (http://clonezilla.org/downloads.php and I think tuxboot.org)

Boot Asus Eee from USB by pressing ESC when it's starting up.
(For this I first had to disable fastboot and change the boot order in the BIOS -> Press F2 on start up to get into the BIOS disable fastboot there and make the first boot device "removable disk").

After pressing ESC you will get a boot menu where you can select your USB disk.
then you boot into Clonezilla, hit OK on all the defaults except for the the times where it asks you to select a disk (first time it asks you have to select a backup location - eg regular other cheap external USB harddisk - second time it asks is what disk you want to back up, for my Asus there only was 1 disk listed there).

It can take a while to backup depending on how much data you have on the disk, plain Win7 Starter and Ubuntu takes about 1:45h, but if you ever need to restore that image, you will have ALL your data files and settings etc back, just like it was when you backed up.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

Since it did not come with a DVD burner why would their software be able to backup the the recovery to DVDs?

I can think of ways around that but they would require a 32Gb memory stick for temp use, Maybe a external hard drive would work, copy the 32Gb to a BluRay 25Gb blank or 50Gb D/L blank depends on the space needed and then reversing the process to recover if needed. Personally I'd rather just buy the 32Gb memory stick.

I took a quick look and found 32GB USB Flash for $30 w/Free shipping

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

You would need both an external optical drive for the recovery disc and a portable drive which is considered compulsory for backing up your important documents.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users