Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something Wrong in Registry

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:00 PM

Hi All :wink:

Lately, I've noticed some very subtle things wrong with my computer. For example, whenever I tried to check for HP Updates, I'd select the button and it would INSTANTLY say no updates were available. I did not get the bouncing ball back and forth for a few seconds while it searches.
I thought that was quite odd, since it didn't occur on an identical (software wise) laptop.

Being a bit computer saavy, I looked in the HKEY ROOT hive of the registry and found SEVERAL keys that had no assigned permissions, and a lot of them were related to the HP Update software. Whenever I selected a key it would say "Access is Denied". After selecting permissions, it told me I couldn't change permissions but I could view them. When I did that, I saw that the permissions window was blank.

Not all keys are like this, most of them have the Users listed and their permissions assigned.

Now, I wrote a script using the subinacl tool from Microsoft to assign permissions to all the affected Regedit keys in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT that were linked to HP Update. After doing this, HP Update worked as usual again! :busy:

However, I still have several keys blank. I've attached 3 screenshots that explains it clearly.

How the hell did this happen? I do not use registry cleaners or optimizing software and is there an easy way to change all registry permissions to their proper?

Note, the subinacl utility from Microsoft is very flaky with Windows 7. It works great on XP, and Vista, but not 7.

Also, I had problems BEFORE I even tried the Subinacl, so that did not cause my troubles.

Any suggestions? :wacko:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:08 PM

Note: I'm limited to how many screenshots I can post, so I've only attached the 1st one.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:08 PM

Is this a new laptop?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users