Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding A Computers Ip #

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MindyLynne

MindyLynne

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:13 PM

As you can probably tell I am a technololgically comprimised person and I need a lot of help. My first question is can someone learn the IP # of my computer without actually using it? If they do find it out, does that mean they can pretty much have access to everything I do or have done on my computer?

Thanks. I really need help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Neverwill

Neverwill

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:18 PM

Yes people can figure out your IP address..and if you dont have a good fire wall you could be under the attack of Hackers..which are basicaly a person,or group of people that gain access to others computers without them knowing..they can preaty much do anything they want to after they gain access to your computer..so i'd recomend you getting a good fire wall..Zone Alarm,Sygate,and even Norton's built in fire wall with there Antivirus would be ok but..im not garenteeing you that you wont get hacked.

Posted Image

#3 MindyLynne

MindyLynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:52 PM

Yes people can figure out your IP address..and if you dont have a good fire wall you could be under the attack of Hackers..which are basicaly a person,or group of people that gain access to others computers without them knowing..they can preaty much do anything they want to after they gain access to your computer..so i'd recomend you getting a good fire wall..Zone Alarm,Sygate,and even Norton's built in fire wall with there Antivirus would be ok but..im not garenteeing you that you wont get hacked.

How can this be done? The computer I am talking about is the one in my office. I am assuming that my company much have a fire wall and pretty good security in general but I guess I need to find out.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:19 PM

Hi MindyLynne

Check with you companies IT Department, they will be able to answer all of your questions/concerns.

It is best to let them handle the security of the computer that you use at work.

They may not apprieciate you installing programs with out thier knowledge.
Posted Image

#5 MindyLynne

MindyLynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:38 AM

Hi MindyLynne

Check with you companies IT Department, they will be able to answer all of your questions/concerns.

It is best to let them handle the security of the computer that you use at work.

They may not apprieciate you installing programs with out thier knowledge.

For personal reasons, I do not want to ask my IT Department questions right now. So, can anyone tell me how someone could identify your IP address without actually using my computer. Also, if a firewall is present as well as an anti-virus programs, is it still possible to get an IP address externally? Is the IP address static or does it change?

Thanks!!

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:14 AM

What excactly is your concern? That someone (anyone) can get into your work computer? Or that your company can access your computer?

If it is the latter:

There are programs that can monitor internet access of employees. And the ability to keep records of activities.

There is software that can monitor employees' keystroke's, e-mail's, instant message's, document's opened and edited, and Web site's visited.

Now whether or not your company is doing so... is the question.

Edited by Scarlett, 30 December 2005 - 08:59 AM.

Posted Image

#7 MindyLynne

MindyLynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:42 AM

My concern is that somone can get into my work computer. I know my company can and is within their right to monitor employee activities. That is not my concern at all. Thanks for your help!!

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:08 PM

My first question is can someone learn the IP # of my computer without actually using it?

Yes it is possible. For instance websites can have acess to IP address'.

If they do find it out, does that mean they can pretty much have access to everything I do or have done on my computer?

Very much so. Keywords are, prevention and safe internet habits.

It can all boil down to how secure the computer is. As in what steps have been taken and what security programs are installed. Most notably a firewall and an antivirus.

Surely it being a company computer, it has all the neccesary safeguards in place.

The following links will take you to some helpful info. regarding computer security.

Bleeping Computer - Simple steps to keep your computer secure!

Bleeping Computer - BEST PRACTICES: PC World's Avoid viruses & Scams

The info at these next links will explain the how and whys of a computer being hacked.

Hacking FAQ and Information

MSN - Introduction to Criminal Hacking, Viruses, and Malicious Activities

Edited by Scarlett, 30 December 2005 - 02:10 PM.

Posted Image

#9 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 03:20 AM

Computer stalking is a crime.

Look here

http://www.ncvc.org/src/main.aspx?dbID=DB_...eandStalkers128
Posted Image

#10 peter1

peter1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:11 AM

I sometimes log on from my computer at work. What is this at the bottom of unreppers reply stating that you are.... ISP is...you are running windows 2000 and using IE 6 Ha! Found you! Is this legal?

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:15 AM

It is from www.danasoft.com.

The signature image is generated in real-time for each user that views it. Your IP address and other information are only visible to YOU, not to others, but because people see their own IP address and computer information displayed in the graphic, they think that their information can be seen by everyone!

Posted Image

#12 peter1

peter1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:32 AM

Thank you. I was worred there for a sec. This is all new to me so please have patience. Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users