Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatically/Easily connect to Wireless Ad-hoc Network

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 O_O_L

O_O_L

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:30 PM

Hi,

I am familiar with computers, but because I donít like laptops, my exposure to wireless networking is almost zero. I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology in my description below. Please take everything with a pinch of salt :)

My home desktop computer (Windows XP Pro) is connected directly to the internet (cable) modem i.e. there is no router, and I hope to avoid getting one if its possible. I recently got a laptop (Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit) at work and I sometimes bring it home.

At home, I connect the laptop to the internet via internet connection sharing through the desktop. I had a wireless USB Dongle lying around and I connected this dongle to the Desktop. On the Desktop in Windows XP, I set up/connect an ad-hoc network. I instruct my internet LAN connection to share the internet with this wireless network/connection. On the Laptop, I then locate this network, enter in the password and then connect.

I want to know if this setup can be made more easily. (By easily I mean either automatically, or with as few clicks as possible. Any commandline batch file or a program would do.)

I am most concerned about the laptop. Every time I connect to this ad-hoc network, I have to find the network in the list, retype the password etc. Is there anyway to shorten this process? On the desktop too I would like to connect to the wireless network automatically. Since I can more easily interact with the desktop (mouse vs trackpad, and better keyboard) this is not a priority.

I would be grateful for any pointers in this regard.
Thanks to you all,
O. O.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users