Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD dead or...?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 trippy

trippy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:28 PM

Hello! And apologies in advance for not being able to keep this story shorter.

After different problems today, I've realized my main problem is the HDD. Here's the story; I started having issues with my wireless connection today, and as I usually would, I tried to restart my computer (it's the only thing that ever worked in these cases). It failed to start again though, told me it was was unable to due to some sort of "corrupt registry" and suggesting me to use the Vista repair. Ok, so I tried the Vista repair from the DVD and that failed too. So after a few more tries, I figured I should format the disk and reinstall Vista (this might have been bit impulsive and dumb). That failed too. I managed to format the C partition the first time, continued the install, but it stopped at 9% stating an error during the "expanding files" phase.

When I tried for the third time to install Vista, it just died after the black screen saying "Windows loading files". It obviously loads the installation files, I get the little green bar moving, then I get the Vista themed blue screen and an arrow, no installation pop up windows, no nothing. It just stands there with the arrow and I can't hear the DVD drive "working". Ok, so fresh install isn't going to work either. I figured the DVD is scratched or something.

Sooo I decided to atleast try and save my files on the other partition of that disk by connecting it to the same laptop (I put another disk with Vista installed inside my laptop - Toshiba Satellite L300, if this helps in any way), through the USB case thing. I've used it before and it worked fine with any disk, even a damaged one. But not this time! :thumbsup: When I connect the HDD through USB, the laptop does recognize it. BUT the only way I can access it is to safely remove it though. There is the icon offering to safely remove "driveS F: and G:". I can't access it through My Computer, Windows Explorer freezes when I try to even access My Computer. Disk management keeps saying "connecting to the virtual disk service". At one point I managed to open My Computer and it only showed one instead of two partitions of the HDD. When I clicked the one, it said I need to format the drive before using it. I tried to format (NTFS) the F partition and I was greeted with another bad news window saying Windows could not complete the format. EASEUS Partition Master recognized the HDD as only ONE 500GB partition at the same time. :mellow:

I don't really know what to do with it now. I can't backup my files on the second partition because I can't open it, according to "safely remove hardware" there are TWO drives (please tell me he's the one that's right and the second partition isn't dead too) and Partition Master said there was only the one. I don't what I can do anymore, can't format, can't access it, nothing. I have tried connecting an external usb HDD I have, and that one worked fine. If that information is of any relevance.

The HDD is practically new, it's a 500GB WD, if that helps in any way. I'd like to atleast backup my files from the disk if possible, but I don't even know how to check if they are there anymore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:33 PM

Have you tried running the Hard Drive diagnostics from here http://www.wdc.com

#3 trippy

trippy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:44 PM

Have you tried running the Hard Drive diagnostics from here http://www.wdc.com

I did now. Thanks. It says "detecting drives", finishes and closes. No notifications or results. Yet the laptop still recognizes it as connected, the safely remove option is still there.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

How new is the drive?

#5 trippy

trippy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

How new is the drive?

Bought it like a month ago, it worked fast and well so far. The system partition was about 60GB, didn't keep any unnecessary files on it either. Everything was on the other partition.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

Id call WDC and ask for a warranty.

#7 trippy

trippy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:54 PM

Yeah, I figured my simplest solution would be to request a repair or a new one from the store, but I was hoping there was a way I could backup the contents. I am convinced I've messed something up in the process of formatting/deleting/creating partitions during the Vista setup since the installation DVD is probably faulty. I'd hate to give up on something I messed up in the first place but I guess I'll have to. :(

EDIT: I have managed to open it in disk management, finally. Both partitions are listed. Under F: it says 59.51GB RAW, Healthy (Primary Partition). The other one just says 406GB, not unallocated space or anything. Tried formatting the first one to NTFS, but offcourse everything freezed... That seems to be the only thing it ever does.

Edited by trippy, 29 March 2011 - 10:26 PM.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

You can do the WD RMA online.
Here is the link for it.

Western Digital is pretty good about replacing their drives.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 trippy

trippy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:14 PM

Hmm I don't know what that is but I was told I have a 3 year warranty on it so it shouldn't be a problem to get a new one.
Good news though, I've saved all my data by booting with Slax, it recognized the partition I needed and I managed to copy all the files I was worried about missing without any freezing whatsoever :bowdown: Still don't know how I'll get my system partition back to life :smash: but this made me feel quite relieved.

Edited by trippy, 30 March 2011 - 06:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users