Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie to Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: OS and Computer usage (29 member(s) have cast votes)

What Operating system do you use?

1. Ubuntu Linux (19 votes [29.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.23%

2. Debian Linux (6 votes [9.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.23%

3. Windows XP (9 votes [13.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.85%

4. Windows Vista (7 votes [10.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

5. Windows Seven (14 votes [21.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.54%

6. OTHER / MISCELLANEOUS (10 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

Where is your primary computer?

1. Home (28 votes [96.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 96.55%

2. Work (1 votes [3.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

3. Library / Internet Cafe (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 macrip3

macrip3

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:45 PM

Hello, All:

I have been using Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop Edition along with a new keyboard. It works great. A lot faster than Windows Seven or Windows in general.

Good O/S. I have added a poll, Please take it..I am curious. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

I use Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Ubuntu, BSD, FreeBSD, and various others.

#3 macrip3

macrip3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

Good, Cryptodan:

That is good, but this Linux sure seems fast and easy to use. No worry or Anxiety about spyware or Viruses.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

2 Win XP, 2 Fedora 14, 1 Ubuntu LTS, 1 Win Vista. 3 PCs total all dual boot Vista/Ubuntu or XP/Fedora and those are just the current install I can pull some real goodies out of the CD pile if I feel like it (Fedora Core 6, any one). God I hope DSL gets here soon...

Posted Image

#5 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:55 AM

I've been having a lot of fun with Linux also. My desktop dual boots Vista and Ubuntu 10.10. My laptop dual boots XP and Xubuntu 10.10.

God I hope DSL gets here soon...

I agree. From what I have read the team responsible for DSL has been plagued with infighting. I have a second laptop with DSL 4. something.Its the only OS that will work on it. It does need some serious tweaking however. I need to find the drivers for the sound card, and find an network adaapter for it. The one I have now won't play nice with the hardware.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:48 AM

I have Ubuntu on my netbook and XP on my desktop. I'd love to leave Windows entirely, but I have two programs for which there aren't adequate alternatives in the Linux universe (and which apparently won't run properly under Wine).

I much prefer my netbook these days!

#7 macrip3

macrip3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:42 AM

Good Cap. Easy:

Ubuntu is a good one. Windows is a good one also, but Linus seems faster.

#8 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:36 AM

Hello, All:

I have been using Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop Edition along with a new keyboard. It works great. A lot faster than Windows Seven or Windows in general.

Good O/S. I have added a poll, Please take it..I am curious. Thanks.

I am curious as to just what you are curious about.
If it is how many people are using linux then your poll isn't nearly complete enough.
There are literally hundreds of linux distro's to choose from

http://distrowatch.com/
http://www.livecdlist.com/

#9 ReturnedHero

ReturnedHero

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

I have Windows XP, 7, and Ubuntu.

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

Bezukhov I was actually talking about the internet service but a new version of Damn Small Linux would be nice too.

Posted Image

#11 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

I think since the subject of this thread pertains to Ubuntu, the results of the poll will be skewed since Windows only users will probably skip the thread entirely.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#12 Filterius

Filterius

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

Yes, agree with you on the poll. Anyways, glad to hear Linux newbies are finding some ease... there are many distros, I love using 'em all and switching it up. I've been using Linux Mint for my entertainment center, nice and simple, on my work laptop I use
Fedora with Mint.

Edited by Filterius, 30 March 2011 - 08:33 PM.

#13 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

I am currently using Windows 7. I've tried Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop Edition from a live thumb drive. I would've switched to it, but Windows 7 isn't bad either. Besides I am a frequent Photoshop user, which isn't available for linux and which is the primary reason of me not switching to it.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 02 April 2011 - 10:03 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#14 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

Good Cap. Easy:

Ubuntu is a good one. Windows is a good one also, but Linus seems faster.

Not sure what you mean by Linus, but it sounds as if there is Ubuntu, Windows and then Linus. Please newbs.... take notice. Linux IS NOT UBUNTU !!!

Ubuntu and its various incarnations (referred to as *buntu) are just VERSIONS of apps riding on top of the Linux kernel as are other distros.

There are other much more mature distributions out there with very well rounded user forums, mature packages, better installers and GUI administration centers that are better for the new user.

I have installed various versions of *buntu (including Mint) on dozens and dozens of PC / laptops over the past 5 years and *buntu is near the bottom of the list as far as consistency of installation/usability/hdwr detection.. EX. Just loaded Lmint 9 (Isadora) and they forgot the HPLIP driver pckg. Even in the repos there was no older version! Quite the hassle upgrading HPLIP from HP's website to get clients printer working. Not a show stopper but it was way more involved than a newb would want to get.

Also, check out their main page. As recently as several days ago, there is no mention of Linux. Kind of Like how Apple made no mention of the Xerox PARC project ( (from whom they "appropriated/?bought?" the modern GUI)and MicroSoft made no mention of Apple (from whom they "borrowed Apple's refined version of the GUI)

Is this really what community is all about? hmmmmmmm....Just want to make sure no one gets the idea that options are:

Ubuntu
Windows
Mac OS

Sorry, but I would categorize *buntu under Miscellaneous. Having come from the Windows world many users have been conditioned to believe that if everyone uses a product it MUST be good. Everyone used to smoke tobacco- was that good?, many are in debt - are credit cards good? Our schools are full of sugary drinks - good?

There are products like Baldor Motors, Robert Shaw controls and Georgia Pacific products. All products that touch almost everyone's lives but have no name recognition. Attaching oneself to Ubuntu (strictly) is to enable and encourage the MicroSoft paradigm of .... "If everyone uses it it MUST be Good".

New users, please don't bring that mentality into the opensource world or it will end up just as murky, muddy and seamy as the world MS and minions have created over the past 25 years.

Thank you

#15 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

I have tried many distros in the past few years and I consider Fedora to be best. Well, actually Arch Linux is better, but that is not for beginners, because you have to compile everything from scratch. I actually recommend Ubuntu for beginners because Ubuntu is one of the more "user-friendly" distros. Anyways, happy computing everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users