Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti Virus Programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 peter1

peter1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 04:51 PM

Hi, I am a new member and this is the first time that I am posting on this forum. Hope that I am in the proper place for this thread. Just curious if anyone is trying the one care anti virus (beta) from microsoft. I am a newbie with a computer(but learning fast) and I just want to make sure that I have good protection. I am also running lavasoft Ad-Aware SE and Spybot search & destroy. I have windows XP SP2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Neverwill

Neverwill

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:11 PM

Well peter, Theres a forum for antivirus/firewalls etc. Here,Click this
and allso..i'd recommend going with Norton,Panda,AVG,or Macafee..but there are a bunch more out there..If you want the maximum protection..do what i do,get multiple anti virus / firewall software :D

Posted Image

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 07:57 PM

:thumbsup: to BC peter1,

get multiple anti virus / firewall software

Actually you don't. Having multiple anti-virus or firewalls installed on your PC will cause conflicts that reduce your protection and system stability. The method recommended here at BC is layered protection:

Use 1 Anti-Virus program, 1 Firewall and many Anti-Spyware programs, supplemented by occasional online Anti-Virus scans.

All of the above can be obtained free - see the BC compendium of recommended Freeware:
Recommended Freeware for examples.

To come back to the topic of your post I don't have any experience with Microsoft's "one care anti virus (beta)" but others will doubtless have comments.

Don't worry about moving your post, a Mod will probably do that soon.

hth :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 jaybeast69

jaybeast69

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:34 PM

Just curious if anyone is trying the one care anti virus (beta) from microsoft

that is a disaster right now, you will find that it will slow down your system, and connection to the web...it is a good idea however but it really messes with your system. it is a BETA right now so bare that in mind, and it will only remain free for the BETA period, it will be offered to purchase after that, how much?? i do not know but, i had it, kept it for like a day or two and got rid of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users