Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Upgrade - 32-bit vs 64-bit

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

Hello,

I recently used a Windows 7 student multi-upgrade CD to successfully upgrade 3 laptops from Windows XP to Win 7

The Windows 7 upgrade CD contained both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions on it.

However, because the existing version of Windows XP was 32-bit, the install program on the CD said I could only upgrade to a 32-bit version of Windows 7.

Question 1: Was there an alternate path I could have followed (without buying a full version of Windows 7) to somehow end up with a 64-bit version of Windows 7 on my laptops?

Question 2: Since the laptops only have 2-3 GB of RAM installed on each, is it really worth the hassle of trying to switch them now from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit?

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

Is there some specific reason you need to run 64 bit? If not, there's really no problem, is there?

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

It is probably best to keep Windows 7 32bit on it since the lap tops contain less than 4gigs of RAM.

Please perform the following on each lap top, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#4 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure if there's a really good reason to move from 32-bit to 64-bit on our laptops.

Just thought they might run faster under a 64-bit environment.

Please give me a couple of days to run Speccy on all three laptops and then post the info here.

#5 marsh_0x

marsh_0x

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:13 PM

Hi, it was nice of M$ to include both versions, on their part an easy answer to what bit version you have when users order, only pennies extra to include both versions.

Simple answer is unless your machine's CPU is 64-bit, not going to happen.
Depending of your needs, you would gain nothing.

A quick link to M$...your answer

Sorry forgot I had an account here, doing a Google search to help another,
lead me back here.

EDIT in : a big thank you to cryptodan for the Speccy link, I never knew how easy it is to pull info from a poster to help.

Marsh

Edited by marsh_0x, 29 March 2011 - 11:40 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:23 AM

I have both the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version of Win 7 installed on my two systems...which were clean installed (upgrade version from XP 32-bit.

I find some of these assertions confusing...because the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Win 7...don't come on CD and each should have it's own DVD, due to file size.

As for 64-bit CPUs...if you have a dual-core or later, it's 64-bit. Processors back to the Pentiums were 64-bit.

That link provided...relates to Vista, not Win 7. XP users (like me) have successfully "upgraded" from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Win 7...perhaps because using the upgrade option from XP requires a clean install and is not a true "upgrade" involving the same system files from the replaced O/S.

Louis

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

I agree. A lot of "misinformation" in this thread.

#8 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

Hi,

I've just double-checked my upgrade disks, and need to correct part of what I said earlier.

It is not a student multi-pack, but is instead a set of two DVD's (a 32-bit & a 64-bit) called a 3X Family Pack, designed to upgrade up to three computers from Windows Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium. We bought it because it was less expensive than buying three separate stand-alone upgrade DVDs. Haven't seen this special package in stores any more, so it might have been a one-time marketing special by MS.

Will still need a couple more days to run speccy on all three laptops, since two of them will have to be temporarily collected back from my son & daughter.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:43 AM

FWIW: Family packs were introduced last year...and MS brought them back this year (even cheaper). They are readily available at online retailers like Newegg, Tiger Direct, etc.

Louis

#10 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:04 PM

Hello,

I am ready to start posting our laptop's Speccy and Belarc files, but seem to be unable to attach them, as I keep getting an error message saying that speccy and mhtm file types aeren't allowed.

It also won't allow me to attach RAR-ified compresed files either.

Any other suggestions?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:16 PM

Speccy should be a Text file.

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:20 PM

If you publish a snapshot correctly using Speccy, it will give you a link like this: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/1LBSp2Lp9VHFlMVSrTksgQX

If the computers can access the internet (which is needed for publishing a snapshot), attaching a file is not necessary.

Please read the tutorial again.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users