Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange problem with external usb hard drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wizzardofozzy

wizzardofozzy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

My cousin is having an odd problem with his toshiba external hard drive and I cant figure it out. When he tries to hook up the drive,it wont spin up on any of the 6 ports until I hook up my external hard drive,unplug his then plug it back in(the light is on).His pc has no problems reading my drive and my pc has no problem reading his.

Its not the cables,Ive tried three of them including mine which I know works.

Its an emachines t2082 btw,which oddly I cant find hardly any info for and dell nor emachines seem to have a support page for this particular model.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:27 PM

I would check the connections on the hard drive. Seems there might be a loose one somewhere.

#3 wizzardofozzy

wizzardofozzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:32 PM

I would check the connections on the hard drive. Seems there might be a loose one somewhere.

Thats what I was thinking at first but its not that because I can use any of three cables on the drive and move things around all day and it doesnt do anything until another drive gets hooked up.Once thats done,I can unhook it,plug it back in and it works the first time.Actually im not even sure that I need to unhook it first,it might just start up after I plug in my drive.

Ive also puled the drive out of the enclosure and played around with the adapter piece thinking maybe it had some broken solder joints on the mini usb port or something.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

Now I am pondering what it could be.

#5 wizzardofozzy

wizzardofozzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

I know right,its very odd.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

Since the drive is the problem...what is the model of the drive?

Can you remove the physical hard drive from the enclosure and connect it directly to the computer?

Louis

#7 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:08 AM

... His pc has no problems reading my drive and my pc has no problem reading his. ...

Since the drive works OK on your pc, I don't think the drive is the problem. I would try uninstalling the driver for this drive then plug the drive in again so the driver will be reinstalled.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#8 wizzardofozzy

wizzardofozzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

... His pc has no problems reading my drive and my pc has no problem reading his. ...

Since the drive works OK on your pc, I don't think the drive is the problem. I would try uninstalling the driver for this drive then plug the drive in again so the driver will be reinstalled.

Ill have him try that,when i can get ahold of him anyway.If that doesnt work i might visit the toshiba forums and see if i can find anything(i know,unlikely)or look for updated drivers or something.

Eh,Ill get it figured out eventually.

Thanks everybody :)

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

Well...if the enclosure or components thereof...is the problem...the only way that you will figure it out will be by connectting the hard drive directly to a a motherboard. If no problems doing that...and problems connecting with drive in enclosure...bingo.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users