Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nespina

nespina

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

yesterday my laptop crashed for no apparent reason (i wasn't doing anything out of ordinary). when i turned it on again, windows started normally (i have windows xp), desktop showed with all the icons, and just when everything seemed up and running normally, a blue screen flashed for a second and my laptop restarted. it kept restarting the same way until i turned it off. today i tried to turn it on again, the same thing happens. i took a photo of the blue screen (since it flashes too fast to read) and here is what it says:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps :

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advance Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information :

***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000001, 0x0000001C, 0x00000001, 0x804E1C18)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

i haven't installed any new hardware nor software for some time. i tried googling the irql_not_less_or_equal problem and found so many various answers that it was as useless as if i didn't find any. i tried starting my laptop in safe mode and it worked and didn't restart by itself, but once in safe mode, i don't know what to do next. i'm really not an expert with computers so any help would be more than welcome (in as plain language as possible :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Random restarts can be caused by two issues, one being a driver issue, the other can be caused by the CPU reaching an un-safe temperature level.

Although you may not installed any new hardware lately, you may recently have installed a driver update such as that for your video card.

Did you install any windows updates for your hardware recently?

As for the over-heating issue, this can be caused by dust entering the laptop and getting stuck in the fins of the CPU heat sink, or it has closed off a critically needed air flow channel inside the laptop.

If your problem is not related to a recent driver update, I would purchase a can of compressed air that is intended for blowing out the computer's internal hardware.

Those cans usually come with a plastic straw that fits into the spray nozzle, use this straw to blow air into any air vents you see in the laptop housing, concentrate it into any vents where the Processor cooling fan could very well be located.

If the dust issue is heavy, you may have to have the laptop serviced by a repair shop.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:21 PM

You can stop the automatic restarts by booting into Safe Mode and go to Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery. Under startup and Recovery click on Settings, uncheck the box in Automatically restart under System failure. Once you have done this the restarts should stop and a blue screen error will appear.

While in Safe Mode run Blue Screen View and post the results back in this topic. The instructions below will take you through the process.

Download BlueScreenView BlueScreenView

No installation required.

Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 nespina

nespina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:54 AM

Thank you both for your answers. I'm going away for a few days, but as soon as I get back, I'll try what you suggested and post here what happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users