Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What options do i want for system configuration utility

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 westsyde

westsyde

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:59 PM

ok so i go into startup and uncheck the programs i dont want to use in startup and it changes options in the general tab from normal startup to selective start up which than opens up different options... i dont no wat one s to check these options include: process system.ini file, process win.ini file, load system services, and load startup items... i have the option to check all or none of them but i dont no what any of these mean

Edited by hamluis, 30 March 2011 - 04:30 PM.
Moved from Startup Database to XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:02 PM

DO NOT use msconfig to manage startup options. And don't uncheck anything you don't understand. Download and use Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel to manage startup items. It will not let you remove anything that will cause problems.

Edited by Allan, 29 March 2011 - 02:03 PM.

#3 westsyde

westsyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

so i googled that mike lins startup panal and read reviews they are pretty good but one review said Startup Inspector for windows 2.1 is better and tells you more info on the programs i dont no wether it is true or not? but i think ill download mikes lin like u said thx

Edited by westsyde, 29 March 2011 - 04:51 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

I wouldn't have told you to get it if it wasn't safe. But let's get back to your problem - it's not likely it has anything to do with startup programs. What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

And here's the link for the app - sorry, meant to include it in my previous post: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

#5 westsyde

westsyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

i appolagize for doubting your info thank u for sending the link. i got this comp. given to me and its never really worked the greatest but i cleaned it right out and it worked better but as i used it it started to show error msgs. i no i have registry errors, junk file errors fragmentation, and broken shortcuts that i need 2 figure out how to fix but thats another topic. i will download that program rite now tho thank you

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

Okay, let's start at the top :)

1) No apology required and I have absolutely no problem with you being cautious. Sorry if I sounded otherwise.

2) When you say "there are no registry errors", does that mean you used some registry utility (registry cleaner or fixer)? If so, that is probably the cause of some of your problems. Registry cleaners CAUSE problems, they do not fix them.

3) Have you run full scans with both your anti virus utility AND with MalwareBytes? If not, please do so.

4) What are the specs of they system (processor speed, ram installed, how big is the hd an how much free space is there, what OS is installed,etc)?

5) When you boot to safe mode, how does the system perform?

#7 westsyde

westsyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

2)sometimes i sound confusing lol sry i ment i have lots of registry errors i downloaded ccleaner (which i read reviews for and it was also recomended from a friend)
3) i run full computer scans weekly with my avg anti virus. but i dont no what this MalwareBites scan is can u pls tell me how to do that
4) were do i find the specs of the comp. (ram processer speed ect.)
5)boot? thats wen u turn your computer on rite?i dont no what u mean by boot in safe mode, im not sure how my comp. currently boots , ... im very computer illiterate sorry im jus learning from smart ppl like u :) i relly do appreciate your help and patience thx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users