Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are these part files in Downloads

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:44 PM

I downloaded a lot of driver files for my pc on my mac and then moved them over to a folder I keep stuff for my thinkpad. Today I noticed 3 files ending in part whose names don't match anything I've downloaded as far as I can tell. They are ViA_1Doy.txt.part, lkrmoZPX.txt.part, & ABPKZlg9.exe.part. I've noticed that while mac is in the process of downloading a file it has a second file - DownloadingFilesname.part that goes away once the download's complete. How did I get leftover *.part files w/ weird file names?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

You would have to watch the Downloads folder to watch in realtime the download process. Or setup a folder action to monitor it. It sounds that some downloads did not finish or were stopped.

File extension PART description:
The PART file extension is associated with partially downloaded files from internet. Unless the download is finished, the partial file appears as corrupted and usually cannot be accessed by any means. After the download is finished, the partial file is renamed to its original extension.
The file suffix is used by some download managers and web browsers, such as Go!Zilla, Firefox, eMule Plus, eDonkey, FlashGet or Free Download Manager.
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

Thanks davidanders

I used firefox for the downloads, should have said.

I have kept an eye on some of the downloads while they were occurring and there would be a downloadfile.exe and a downloadfile.exe.part until the download was complete and then just the downloadfile.exe. I don't know what downloads got interrupted - I didn't get any error messages - and the .part file names don't match any of the downloads. I expected to have the *.part file and the *.exe file if the download was interrupted - I seem to remember that happened once. But maybe not. Or maybe that was on the pc. I'm just hoping I don't have any half downloaded .exe files in my download folder. It's a lot of files to compare file sizes - and I don't know if one can accurately compare file sizes because there is the actual file size and the file size on disc.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

Sometimes .part files get leftover accidentally after a download. If the .part file names don't match any of the .exe file names, it is probably safe to delete the .part files.

And if you find any of the .exe's don't work, try re-downloading them.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 14 April 2011 - 02:55 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

Thanks keyboardninja,

I deleted the .part files and I went ahead and compared my downloaded files sizes w/ the file sizes listed at the download site. They all seem close enough in size to be complete downloads. Where the .part files came from is another mystery that will likely never be solved.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users