Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Problem..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Neverwill

Neverwill

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:56 PM

Ok..this is what happens...i turn on all my computers and enable the LAN and then i click on the propertys for my LAN connection on my computer,(1 of the 3), i set up my IP/DNS to be Automatic,and then when i re do that It was set to this ip and dns
IP:169.254.137.84
DNS:255.255.0.0

When its supposed to be:
IP: 192.168.0.1-99
DNS:255.255.255.0

Im thinking its a virus..but im not 100% sure whats goin on...thanks in advanced if any one can help

EDIT: by the way..im running windows xp pro..it says theres no service packs installed

Edited by Neverwill, 27 December 2005 - 04:10 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 07:31 PM

255.255.0.0 or 255.255.255.0 are not DNS addresses they are subnet masks.

What LAN devices provide the DHCP service? (probably the router - what make and model is it?)

You should turn on your router and other LAN devices first and then the PCs that way when they look for an automatic IP address to be allocated the router (or whatever) will be up and ready.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:47 AM

Can you enter the router configuration page? Enter in the address bar 192.168.1.1 . The default User/Psword is admin/admin. What are the DNS IP addresses?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Neverwill

Neverwill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:31 PM

hey..sorry i havent been on a long time..i've been in town with some friends...any ways..btw..yes..i ment subnet mask when i said dns..sorry for the confusion.

Name/brand etc of network hub is:
Model#:HX-16B
Version: E1
Make:MaxTech
Other:10 Base-T Ethernet Hub

i duno what elce im supposed to do..if you need more info post here..

EDIT:Well! i have found out whats goin on..its a user account called ASP.NET (Which is a microsoft based website) and then some other stuff..so like ASP.NETblah blah...i duno if thats a good or bad thing but i got rid of it..so thanks to all that attempted to help!:D:D

Edited by Neverwill, 31 December 2005 - 04:01 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users