Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NEW SYSTEM TOOL INFECTION QUESTION

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 roc1911

roc1911

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:31 AM

I have been away for about 6 months or so, and it is good to be back,
I hope I am using the correct forum for this.
When I signed in this morning the first page that came there
was an announcement about the New System Tool Infection.
When I saw that of course all sorts of red flags go up and not
being to computer oriented, I wasn't sure if I should continue to
the forums or leave the site. I decided to to stay and try
to find out about this infection.
1) Is this infection actually in that forum? or in some of the tools that used in that forum?
2) I am being honest here, but I have never heard of virus infecting a forum that basis it's self
on helping people to stay free of all the bad things in the Internet world.
3) How is one infected by this virus/trojan?
4) Is it localized to that one forum?
I thank you one and all for your insight on this!!!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
TO KNOW WHAT IS RIGHT AND NOT TO DO IT,
IS TO BE WITHOUT COURAGE........CONFUCIUS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:48 AM

If you were not signed in, then you probably saw an advertisement for a piece of software to fix a new infection.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

Like cryptodan said, what you probably saw was an advertisement.

Bleeping Computer shows advertisements to people who are not logged in. These ads come from Google and we only have some control over what ads appear. Whenever a shady or questionable ad shows up, the site owner (Grinler) will blacklist the ad from appearing on BleepingComputer.com in BC's Google Ads control panel. However the sad truth is that an ad has to have been shown in the first place before it will be blacklisted (otherwise no one knows to blacklist it!)

The costs associated with running a large and popular site like Bleeping Computer are not inconsiderable so the ads will have to stay. Grinler, of course, is very displeased when an ad slips through which might entice our visitors into downloading something unsavory. Anyone seeing an ad on Bleeping Computer which they even suspect might be less-than-safe is encouraged to contact Grinler or another staff member about it with at least the following details: the page you were on when you saw it (i.e. the main page, a particular forum page or topic,) the time you saw it (as accurately as possible) and what the ad was advertising. Other extremely useful details would be a screenshot of the ad and the URL the ad was pointing to (for example: www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=ghsdfgh&num=1&sig=dfgh&adurl=http://www.example.com.)

With the above information Grinler can at least blacklist it and at most contact Google to have the ad pulled across the internet if it violates their TOS (advertising malware is against their TOS.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users